Need Help - Leveling Double Pocket Doors!

Old 03-15-11, 02:47 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help - Leveling Double Pocket Doors!

Hey All,

I have 2 sets of double pocket (4 24 inch slabs all together) doors I have installed. The problem is, I can't seem to get them plumb when they are in the pockets (i.e. they are not plumb like the jams). The framing was done by professionals. I can't get my level inside the pocket to check the tracks but the exposed part of the tracks is level. And the doors are perfectly plumb when closed. Am I being too picky? I did a single pocket door a few years ago and it came out perfect. So, my expectation was the same for this project.

Please share any tips/advice as I am really getting frustrated.

Old 03-15-11, 02:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
The rollers on top have adjustments for leveling or squaring the doors. You should be able to reach the adjustments from the ends. If you can only get at one end, try adjusting the visible ends to match things up.

Old 03-15-11, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If the doors are plumb when closed (all in the middle), but not plumb when you roll them back (into the pocket), then the top track is obviously not level, but is probably bowed.

The top track needs to be dead level or else you will never get them plumb when the doors are both open and closed. If the track is even 1/16" off in 2 ft, that corresponds to almost 1/4" out of plumb on a 7 ft pocket door.

Yes, you can adjust the rollers, but you probably won't be able to get them to line up plumb in both positions. So you need to take the doors out and level the head track by reshimming it.

Old 03-16-11, 06:11 AM
G
Bill - thanks. I tried. for at least 2 hours i played with the adjustements, but no luck. I just can't believe that all 4 doors are "out" in exactly the same way.

XSleeper - that's what i was afraid of. unfortunately, the walls are already sheet rocked. I bought a 24" extension bit for my drill but i am not sure how succesful I will be. It kills me to shim out the finish work to compensate, but I guess something has to give. the thing that drives me most nuts is that 2 different contractors installed these pocket door kits 5 years apart only to produce the same exact mistake. Given the chances of that happening i assumed i was doing something wrong with the adjustments.

Any tips on adjusting tracks when already sheetrocked?

Old 03-16-11, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, you need to determine what's wrong with the installation first. I'd remove the doors, first of all. Put your level on the head track, and see if you can determine what's wrong. Is it out of level? Or just bowed. The thing is, since just 1/16" matters so much with a double pocket door, they need to be DEAD ON. And it's hard for someone who isn't an excellent finish carpenter to produce those kind of results. The jamb would also need to be perfectly plumb, which I am assuming it is. Another footnote is that jambs need to be checked with a 78" level to be sure they are dead on. Putting a 2' level on something 7' long really isn't going to give you the whole picture.

So I'd say that if the head track is just bowed down, remove the long screws that might be holding the top track, and cut the top of the jamb loose with a reciprocating saw, making a little clearance between the jamb and the drywall. Then reshim the top of the door and reinstall the long screws, checking to see if you've gotten the bow out.

If the head track is straight, but is out of level, well then you're kind screwed. You'd probably need to adjust the rollers like JustBill said to get the doors to hang plumb when they are closed, and then shim your finished jamb trim on the sides to try and match the way the doors hang when they are pushed back into the pockets.

If it helps you any, if you adjust the door so that it hangs plumb, it should be plumb no matter where it's rolled... provided the head track is level and true. So that might help you diagnose what's wrong with the head track.

Old 03-17-11, 10:02 AM
G
Thanks again!

I ended up calling in the contractor who completed the most recent install of the pocket door tracks. After some discussion we came to the conclusion that the only way to get them plumb is to cut out pieces of the sheetrock to enable shimming of the tracks. He was kind enough to offer to fix both sets of doors.

The info you provided enabled me to be able to speak intelligently about the problem and ultimately get the contractor to help me out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: