Door jams and sill

Old 03-19-11, 05:54 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door jams and sill

Hello, I am reworking an old exterior door. I will be installing a new sill and a prehung door, question; do the jams rest on the sill or do they butt up and are fastened to the sill ? Thank you, Al

Old 03-19-11, 07:14 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Exterior Door

Check your new door. The sill should already be attached.

Old 03-19-11, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
When the threshold is installed first, the casing rests on top of it. If it's installed after the door and casing - it's installed between jambs...... but as stated above, the threshold comes attached to prehung exterior doors.

Old 03-20-11, 05:07 AM
A
Hi marksr and wirepuller38, I guess I did not express myself clearly, I am going to inst. a wooden sill prior to the prehung door ( with the threshold that comes with it removed) my question is; will the jams rest on top of the new wooden sill or will I notch the sill so that the jams may bebutted up and fastened to the sill ? Sorry about misleading you. Al

Old 03-20-11, 05:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Why would you remove and not use the factory threshold?

Old 03-20-11, 06:25 AM
A
Hi marksr, I haven't looked that far yet, being a novice I am not sure of what I am going to do until I get to that point. Thanks for your response, I will give that threshold idea some thought. Al

Old 03-20-11, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
As for your question, the jambs always get nailed to the sides of a wood/aluminum/composite sill. Most prehung doors come with the sill already installed on the door. If you have a special situation where you are installing a door with no threshold, (as when you install a brass threshold) then the jambs usually are made longer (a custom door) and they just sit on top of the rough opening, after the jambs have been cut to the desired length. The brass threshold is then cut to fit between the jambs, and the jambs are shimmed and secured tightly.

Not sure if I'd suggest anything other than a complete prehung door with an attached sill/threshold for a novice.

Old 03-20-11, 10:39 AM
A
XSleeper, thank you for your insight I am always eager to learn. Al

Old 03-21-11, 06:29 AM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
DO not even think about trying to install the sill then the door!
A sill is attached from the bottom up into the jams. There's no good way to cut jams at the proper angle to make 100% contact with the sill if you try and do it in two sections, plus the jams would be floping around at the bottom of the opening.
By doing it all as one piece the top and bottoms of the door will stay evenly spaced.
You should also install a sill pan under the door. I'd bet that when you remove your old door your going to see where water has gotten under the sill and done some damage. A sill pan will stop that from happening. Lowes and Home Depot do not stock them but a local lumber yard may.
Do a Google seach on sill pan.
When the old door comes out always check the rough framing on the hindge side and at the bottom for plumb and level. If there off the whole door frame will rack. The door is attached on the hindge side first.

Old 03-22-11, 05:09 AM
A
joecaption, thank you for your response. I am a lucky man to have so many generous members to share their experience and keep me on the right track. Al

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: