Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need new entry door--Want decent quality--but not more than $2000.

Old 03-19-11, 03:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our old door is rotting and not great at all. Our current door is a simple solid door with 6 panels and then a sidelite on each side. I think they are 12 in. Our door is dark green which I have learned since isn't the best for the heat here in the south. I was going to go with Fiberglass but my mom says we need clad for the exterior. We don't want to spend more than $2000 on it, and I went to lowes today and they showed me the pella doors with the advantage plus protection system which means the frame is a aluminum endura clad. Without installation the door would be about $1400. And $500 for installation. WE just want something that is durable and will last a while and that won't rot. Our current door frame itself is unstable and you can shake it and the whole frame shakes. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 03-19-11, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You don't necessarily need clad for an exterior door. Fiberglas is an excellent door, and almost indiscernible from wood in appearance from the street. You can save the $500 by doing this yourself......well, less a case of beer, two bags of ice and some chips for the guys helping you, as it will be heavy. So now, you're back to $1400 plus amenities. We can guide you through it if you wish. Once the old door is out, you will need to check your framing to ensure it is stable enough to take the new door.

Old 03-20-11, 07:14 AM
B
Any thoughts where else to look other than HD/Lowes. Surely ya'll have some brand names you would recommend that should last a while. Thanks

Old 03-20-11, 08:01 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check your local lumber yards. Some have their own door shops. They all have access to a larger number of mfgrs. than what is stocked at either of the box stores. (The box stores have access to many more than just what they stock as well.)

Old 03-21-11, 06:17 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
I just hate a clad door or windows. What happen is over time the clading leaks and rots out the wood behind it.
I'd look at the Atrim doors (Home Depot sells them) Just take a look at how thick the threshold is on there doors.
Any new doors I've been installing I've been suggesting Fiberglass doors with vinyl jams and brick moulding. Cost more but will never rot again or need painting.
The doors with just the vinyl at the bottoms of the jams will still need painting.
Any new out side door we install is also set the in what's called a sill pan. Lowes and Home Depot do not stock them but any local lumber yard may have them.
Do a Google search on Jam Sill.
It redirects the water that leaks down the sides of the door to the outside so the area under the door can not get wet and rot out the sub flooring.
It's also super important that the area under the outside of the threshold is fully supported. We use 1 X 6 vinyl lumber and use 3" stainless steel trim head screws to hold it in place.

Old 02-12-13, 09:50 AM
R
Feather River Fiberglass Entry Doors

Home Depot sells the Feather River brand of entry doors. In the Chicago area, I installed 100's of them - both single pre-hungs and those with side-lites. They came pre-finished in light oak, medium, and a mahogany colors.

Over all I have to give them a great recommendation. Quality control was excellent. Therma-Tru are ok with the exception that they always had a unit height of 82" which caused a lot of head aches for most rough openings. We typically had to cut headers when installing a Therma Tru (not a real big deal - just a quick rip with a skill saw or sawzall and a chisel). Over all I would rate Therma Tru's a fine door but maybe a notch below Feather River as far as quality goes. Therma Tru's come unfinished which may give you more flexibility as far as color goes - just know that it takes a little bit of talent to properly stain them. Be sure your painter has already done several otherwise he/she will mess up the door!

Old 02-12-13, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Roresteen, welcome to the forums! I am afraid this 3 year old post wont garner much cross talk, and hopefully the OP has their door in by now. Just check the dates on the posts. Take care.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: