Half Round Window Installation

Old 03-20-11, 07:09 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half Round Window Installation

I'm having a contractor put a porch on the front of my house. I also want him to install a half round window above the front entry door. The outside of my house is brick. Can the window be installed so that the brick is cut the radius of the window? Or does the brick need cut as a rectangle the same size as the rough opening?

Thanks
Frank

Old 03-20-11, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
Well, first, you may have a structural header in the area you want the window. Normally, You have a header directly above a door. If you have to cut the header to install the window, you better have enough room between the top of the half circle window and the bottom of your top plate to install a new header that spans both the door and the window.

As to the question about the brick, you can't cut the brick out to exactly fit the window. You would need to remove the brick first, tooth it out to make room for the window, then install the window, then install a soldier row of bricks around the perimeter of the window, and then fill in the field of bricks that are left around that semi-circular soldier row.

You could cut it out as a rectangle, but any cut bricks around that perimeter are what would need to be "toothed out" and replaced once the window and semi-circular soldier row are replaced. You will also likely need a sloped soldier row sill underneath the window.

Old 03-20-11, 09:00 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TALK TO YOUR CONTRACTOR and find out how he plans to go about this.

Generally, and so it looks right, there is a soldier course of brick installed at the radius, and the wall bricks die into that. For a mason, it's all in a day's work. EITHER your contractor knows how to do it right, OR he knows who does and subs it out.

Don't let him walk away until you are happy with it.

Old 03-21-11, 07:51 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks
The door header is not in the way, it fits between the door header and the top of the framing for the wall. The contractor will install, we have talked about it. I need to pick out the exact size and shape of window then get him involved. I am trying to pick out a window design that has the best chance of looking good after finishing/ trimming it. I want to keep as much of the original brick exposed as possible.

Thanks again
Frank

Old 03-21-11, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
Keep in mind that the half circle window will still need a header over it, if you have to cut any of the cripples above the header to put it in. And you will have to cut some cripples out. Depending on how wide the half circle window is, the header may not have to be very tall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: