I want shorter windows in the same opening.

Old 03-29-11, 07:53 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I want shorter windows in the same opening.

I have a cabin with big double hung windows that are too close to the floor to allow me to put in standard kitchen base cabinets. They are single pane wooden windows with cheap looking aluminum jam rails. I'd like to use the existing window opening except move the bottom up 6 or 8 inches and put in a shorter window. I don't want to spend a lot. Can I just buy new shorter sashes and new jam rails? Or do I need replacement windows or a whole new construction window?

Old 03-29-11, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You will probably need to address the support thing and frame up from your original framing with new lumber to accommodate the new windows. And, yes, new windows would be in the offing, as modifying what you have would cost more in the long run. Plus you have single pane windows, and double pane would be much more energy efficient. You need to look at how you will handle your siding on the outside. The interior would be pretty straight forward if you have sheetrock presently.

Old 03-30-11, 05:16 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
It all depends on what's on that outside wall as to what you can do to fix this.
If it's wooden lap siding, or vinyl siding it's not that hard, but if it's logs or brick, you may have to go to plan B.
You can forget about the idea about getting shorter sashes and rebuilding the jams.
A whole new, new constrution window, reframing the opening, insulating, and repair the siding is the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: