HELP; Vinyl Windows have too much give

Old 04-02-11, 08:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HELP; Vinyl Windows have too much give

Hey everyone, hope I can get some help on here.

We have done just about everything in our house that we bought just recently, now we are down to the window issue. The vinyl window in the master bedroom is a piece of work. The window has way too much give, meaning I can basically lean on the window and it feels like the whole thing is going to push out of the house and fall into the front yard. The bottom left portion of the window is secure, no problems, but from the bottom middle of the window to the bottom right side of the window there is too much give.

Any suggestions? We are going to replace the stop moulding but I don't know if that will help as the window seems to be "falling" towards the outside not inside. Would love to be able to do this ourselves, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-11, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
More information, maybe some pictures might help. It would help to know if this was a replacement window, put into an existing old wooden frame, or if it was a "new construction" window that has a nailing fin. A picture from the exterior would help.

If it's a replacement window, the installers may not have put installation screws through the frame. Your exterior stops could be rotton. And it probably isn't caulked in very well. The sill under the window could also be rotten. Some guys use aluminum trim coil to cover up rotten wood so that the window LOOKS good from the outside, but isn't real secure.

Hard to say without something else to go on.