Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

where to find replacement thermal aluminum windows?

Old 04-12-11, 05:12 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My home was built in 2000 with thermal aluminum windows. The glass broke in one of the windows and I want to replace the window (not merely replace the glass). The problem is that I cannot locate the manufacturer of the window. I went to a local Lowes for help, but received none. The windows are the type that pull out with a spiral mechanism on each side. Any advice on how to replace the window myself will be greatly appreciated

Old 04-12-11, 05:19 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
You'll be lucky to find these, the reason being a lot of companys stopped selling them because there was no thermal break in the frames and the heat or cold came right through the frames causing frost to form in the winter. And those spiral things were alway breaking
Most often if there is a number to be found will be on the ends of the saches, you net to unsnap them and pull them in like as if you were trying to clean them. If not there a few compamys has an acid etch number in the bottom right hand side of the glass.
Also try a search on Google on Aluminum replacement windows.

Old 04-12-11, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
When you say you want to replace the window, do you mean that you want to replace an individual window SASH? The sash is the glass and surrounding framework that the glass is glazed into. If that's the case, and you need to track down the manufacturer, your best bet would be to try to locate the builder or maybe a neighbor who might happen to have some of the original paperwork that came with the home. Something that might show the brand of windows used.

Out of curiosity, why not replace just the glass? That's what's normally done.

Old 04-12-11, 07:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I have lost track of the builder. There is no indication of a manufacturer on the window (perhaps the manufacturer's name is located in some obscure place?). Yes, I want to replace the glass and the surrounding frame. I did not consider replacing just the glass because I was told that this type of window needs to be vacuumed, otherwise, it will fog over on the inside.

Last edited by alerra; 04-12-11 at 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-12-11, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Double paned glass is called an "insulating glass unit" or IGU for short. There is not a vacuum between the two panes, that's a common misconception. The air space between the glass is simply sealed, and there is a substance called desiccant that normally absorbs any moisture that is trapped between the glass.

Any glass company can replace the glass for you, but they have to measure it, order/make the IGU, and then install it. If you can take the sash out, and take it to a glass company, they will measure it and order/make the glass. It will take about a week.

They can also come to your house and measure, then come back to install it once it's ready. But that will probably cost a little more. Taking the sash to a glass company is your best bet. To get it out, you usually need to tip it inward, (hold the sash parallel to the floor) and then pound one side downward with your fist, keeping the sash perpendicular to the main frame of the window. (I usually pound near the bottom of the right side spiral balance). Once the right pivot bar begins to come out of and clear the right pivot shoe, you can usually pull the left pivot bar out of the left pivot shoe.

To reinstall, its pretty much the opposite of the above. Insert into the right side and pound the left side down until they are both even, then tip up, close and lock.

Not sure if you would have an NFRC sticker somewhere on the window or not. It's often stuck in the top of the frame, sometimes you have to open the top sash and look above it in the top of the frame. The code on the NFRC sticker can be used to determine the mfg.

Old 04-12-11, 08:01 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
If there's screws in the outside corners of the frame and the outside corners are not welded, look in between the pains of glass ad see if you can see metal strips seperating the panes. If so then the window may come apart and a new unit can be ordered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: