None of my Screens Fit Windows!

Old 05-30-11, 07:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
None of my Screens Fit Windows!

Hello - I sure hope someone can help me. I recently moved into a three-year old house and have just discovered that NONE of the screens fit tightly in the windows. There are irregularly-sized gaps on the sides of the screens, big enough to let in mosquitoes, gnats, small beetles and spiders, etc. In other words, the screen frames do not fit squarely into the windows.

As I mentioned, the windows are only three years old. They are the type where the bottom window only swings down for cleaning (the top window is fixed). The screen is the kind that you remove by pulling down the bottom window, loosening the screen with the two little screws at the top and pulling out the screen.

Please tell me that this is something that can be fixed with new screens somehow fitted properly and that the problem isn't that the holes for the windows are simply not sqare and nothing will ever fit right in them!

I hope someone can help me. I can't afford to leave the AC on 24 X 7 all summer and like to turn it off and open windows at night.

Thank you!

Jodie

Old 05-30-11, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
I'm guessing that you are looking at the gap around the INTERIOR side of the screen, and not the EXTERIOR side of the screen. Put a screen in, then go outside and look to see if it fits tightly against the exterior lip of the window. Single hung window screens are pretty much exactly the way you mention. You tip the front window down, drop the screen between the upper and lower sash, make sure the bottom edge is setting in the exterior "slot", pull the two pins down on top, and press the top edge of the screen back into place.

I've had people complain that the screens are not tight, and it has always been a case that the screens are not tight enough "for them". What can you say? Take it up with the window manufacturer, I guess. Unless your screens are bent, that's the only other problem I could imagine.

You could always place rope caulking around the interior edge of the screen if you want a better seal. But I'm guessing that the square holes in the screen could let in gnats and small spiders too. And often water has to be able to drain out the front of the screen, so you might not want to seal the bottom edge with rope caulking.

If there's something I'm missing, you could always take a picture and upload it to a website like photobucket, then post the link here. Maybe the picture could help us to see what you see.

Old 05-30-11, 09:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are exactly right! I was looking at the inside of the screen. I went outside and I can see that the screen does fit tightly there against the exterior lip of the window. I went back inside and took a butter knife and pushed it into the "gaps" at the side of the screens and the butter knife hits the exterior frame of the window; it does NOT go straight outside, which means that bugs cannot simply fly directly into my house through those gaps.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am really clueless about home maintenace things and in my last house, the screens moved up and down on a track so of course there weren't any gaps between the screen and the window.

You've made my day. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: