Installing a Prehung Exterior Door

Old 07-05-11, 10:42 PM
Installing a Prehung Exterior Door

Good Day:

I have a measured the width of my wall and it is 5 inches, so what I was wondering if I get a 4 1/2 inch door frame can I just add a 1/2 inch piece of wood on the inside part of the door to make it flush with the dry wall for mounting trim. Would that idea cause any issues with the opening of the door or what are my other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 11:53 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Assuming the door swings in I would suggest putting it on the back of the outside trim. Use a good waterproof glue and a few brads.

Old 07-06-11, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
To do what Ray suggests, you would just need to remove the brickmould, and install the 1/2" filler on the exterior, then reinstall the brickmould, assuming that the door HAS brickmould. If the door jamb is made of a composite material, you would want to buy a piece of PVC brickmould, and rip your 1/2" filler from that material so that the filler would match somewhat.

If your door has a nailing flange and an aluminum exterior... well then you can't put the filler on the outside, can you?

But if you put it on the interior, it wouldn't be the end of the world, and wouldn't likely affect the swing of the door. 1/2" isn't much. The biggest thing it would affect is the floor covering... since the threshold would be 1/2" farther out than it was previously, it would also need a filler down there. It also affects the strike plate, so your filler would need to be stepped back 1/4" from the perimeter of the jamb so that it wouldn't be in the way. The casing would be stepped back another 1/4" from the perimeter of the filler. If the strike plate is short, the latch may still rub on the casing if the filler is on the inside. A longer strike plate, or an adjustable one would prevent that from happening and might be a good idea.

The only other idea would be to remove 1/2" from the exterior sheathing, and THAT would only be possible if your house has, say... 1" foam as exterior sheathing that you could easily cut off, and replace with 1/2" plywood. This would assume that if the brickmould/trim is set back 1/2" farther, that it would not move it so far back that it would be behind the siding.

Old 07-06-11, 08:49 AM
Thank you that makes sense, the house I'am working on is a older house with ceder siding with that removed and right to the dry wall is 5 inches and it swings inwards, also just wondering if it is a feasible ideal to cut down a 6.5 door frame to 5 inch. The doors we are looking at have built in exterior molding if I was to do what you suggested to remove that and space it out 1/2 that might be way easier.