Vinyl Replacements

Old 07-08-11, 04:11 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Replacements

Had the Home Depot at my house, estimated cost for their "6500" series Simonton was $9500! And $7500 for the "6100" series! Wow! This was for a total of 12 windows and two small attic windows. House was built in 1905, and windows are old.

I had a few other "local" estimates ranging from $359-400 per window installed.

Now here are my questions...I found some nice windows that I like such as the American Craftsman or the Thermastar for $130-170 in the size I need at Lowes and Home Depot.

If I measure correctly and order vinyl replacements, is this something that can be done without a major skill level?

I'm handy and have common sense, but I'm not a master carpenter. Just dont want to get in over my head, or have windows that won't open or shut.

The videos online for this just seem to make it seem pretty easy, but I have never replaced an old doulble hung window.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 04:25 AM
W
Vinyl replacements are easy to install the hardest part of the job will probably be removing the old heavy double hungs especially if you have a 2nd floor. Trimmming out the window is probably the most time consuming.

My suggestion is to buy the very best window your budget will allow.

Old 07-08-11, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
PV
do yourself a big favor Stop right here . Cheap HD and lowes windows are just that CHEAP junk.
First find a good window. Spend the time.
I can teach how to rip out an old wood DH in 15 minutes. [ Inside install] BUT there are tips and tricks that take a long time to learn. Depends on the type of ballancers that keep the sashs in place. Weights in pockets, spiral balancers, suit case friction . Then you will need [ to it right] a 1/2 to 3/4" wood drop sill build up on the outter enge of the new window.
Inside install requires you to remove the inside stop. If done right it can be re-used. Outside install is NOT a good choice. Requires you [ or who ever] to cut off the exterior Blind stop. Not a good Idea unless it is replaced with new 3/4
Good luck.

Old 07-20-11, 06:56 PM
D
Originally Posted by Nevar View Post
PV
do yourself a big favor Stop right here . Cheap HD and lowes windows are just that CHEAP junk.
First find a good window. Spend the time.
I'll second that. The two names you posted are junk. The prices you were quoted seem fair to down right cheap considering you probably have lead paint since you are in a 1905 house. Read up on the EPA lead laws if you are paying someone to work on your house.

What is wrong with you current windows? It sounds like you are on a budget. You may be better off with storms or fixing what you have. See -
_ Historic HomeWorks, Home Page
Historic HomeWorks, Practical Restoration Reports
Historic HomeWorks Forum :: View Forum - Windows & Doors
Duffy Hoffman