Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I remove old steel basement window frame from masonry?

DE

07-08-11, 11:57 AM   #1  
How do I remove old steel basement window frame from masonry?

Hello,

Attempting to remove an old steel basement window frame, Window comes off real easy unlike its frame. I want to replace with vinyl hopper or slider, frame is rusting on outside so I figure its best to remove frame. Opening with frame is about 31x14. If you can see images, I started prying on inside lower and side portions but I figure I should stop and ask questions since it was not easy to get this far!! Should I keep prying like crazy and or use sawzal. What direction should I saw?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Larry

Sponsored Links

NY

07-08-11, 02:03 PM   #2  
Sorry gonna have to guess, as I can not enlarge your photos.
1 ] If the steel frames are tin like [ seem to be wrapped arond the concrete ] Don't try. there installed when the concrete is poured Clean and prime the steel then Frame with 3/4 or 5/4 Betst bet is with a Hilti nail gun. Install your new window in the wood frame.
2] If the steel frame is thick and seems to be in the concrete . It can be removed with a lot of cutting and prying. But again your going to have to install a new wood [ trex like] frame with a nail gun of tapcon screws

Group Moderator

NE

07-08-11, 03:13 PM   #3  
Installation methods vary depending on the masonry opening that you will be left with. You may or may not want to line the masonry opening with a wood buck. You lose window size when you do that and it is not always necessary. If the masonry openings are fairly consistent in size, the replacement window can simply be anchored to the masonry opening and the perimeter can be sealed with sealant.

For complete instructions you can see these old threads where this question has been discussed before.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/do...nt-window.html

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/do...t-windows.html

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/do...placement.html

good luck!

DE

07-08-11, 03:19 PM   #4  
Here are a few more photos, hope these are better images. Problem is my opening is real small and to get a window to fit into this existing frame would be, I think, impossible? When you say tin like, do you mean real thin? Its kind of thick and hard to pry. Thanks.

DE

07-08-11, 03:47 PM   #5  
Those frames are set into the concrete and not easily removed. I usually remove the sash and use the outside frame edge as a stop for the new windows, securing the new windows thru the sides with screws. Careful measurements will give you a proper fit since windows are made to 1/4" sizes. If you insist on removing them, a sawzall and carbide blades will eventually get thru most of it.

DE

07-08-11, 04:43 PM   #6  
Since I am a NEWBEE at this job, please deal with any kindergarten type of questions. When you say sash does this mean existing window with its own support ? Also, not sure about what it means to keep existing outside frame, what about inside frame as well and would it not be almost impossible fitting a new vinyl window that opens, inside a 31 1/4" x 13 1/2" space? If anyone knows where I can find a window that fits please let me know,

Thanks

DE

07-09-11, 03:46 PM   #7  
The sash is the part that moves with the glass in it. The frame is the part anchored into the concrete. In most cases, the sash can be easily removed, leaving the frame as a stop for a new vinyl window frame/sash.

IL

07-31-13, 08:17 PM   #8  
Larry,

Were you able to get the metal frame off? Can you kindly share what worked for you. I have a similar situation and would appreciate any feedback/tips/suggestions.

Thanks
Vik

DE

08-02-13, 08:54 AM   #9  
I was able to pry it off by using prybar, and the section I was not able to get off, I used a grinder with a wheel on it to cut through metal. Very messy and possibly dangerous if you are not very careful, wear safety glasses, heavy gloves, and ear plugs!!I survived, but since I wanted a larger opening, I hired someone to enlarge size and install window that I bought at HD. The size that I had was common and did not have to be special ordered. The other 3 windows were again just old hopper type, I took window out which took 30 seconds, those frames were not that rusty, primed them. I special ordered windows @ HD. Took concrete screws, jammed them in with silicone around window and frame. Only problem was the opening was smaller than original because new window+old frame. HD had these windows that were special ordered, the smallest ones they had. If your frames are OK, and are hopefully larger opening than I have you will get perfect size window installation, but most of the time you will need to remove all existing frames if you want normal size windows installed.

Search this Thread