Best material for Window Pediments

Old 07-25-11, 05:46 PM
Best material for Window Pediments

I recently had fiberglass windows installed. Two of them have a semi circle area above the windows, which I had done with aluminum capping over a solid plywood backing with blue seal waterproofing over the plywood.

The semi circular areas look really plain and I want to finish them off by installing two pediments, one over each window. I am contemplating ordering either this
Exterior Solutions - 37 5/8"W x 19 15/16"H Half Round Sunburst, Fade-Resistant Vinyl
or this
Fypon Half Round Sunburst Window Pediment :: Accent Building Products

Can anyone shed some light on which material will be better for durability in terms of cracking, discoloration, disintegration, etc.

TIA

quickcurrent

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-11, 05:47 AM
I am familiar with Fypon and know it is a good product. Hope that helps.

Bill

Old 06-19-12, 06:54 PM
If anyone is looking for a solution to a window topping like mine, here's what I did.

Found a metal wholesaler (MetalSupermarkets) and had them cut me one 3/4" slice off a 6" solid aluminum pole and several lengths of 3/4" square hollow aluminum tube. Took that home, cut the 6" circular piece of solid aluminum in half using a wet tile cutter and cut the tubing to the exact lengths I needed to create a starburst pattern (with tubing at the 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150 degree positions. Took all the pieces, sanded them, washed them to get the grease off of them, dried them and painted them with spray paint (with numbers on the back side to identify each piece's position). Once the paint was dry I used double sided tape to secure all pieces in place over previously applied aluminum sheeting over solid plywood. Then caulked the whole thing around each piece with color matched caulking.

It looks far better than any plastic pediment, will outlast plastic, wood or practically any thing else available on the market. Cost me about $80 for two window toppers (about half of which was for high end double sided tape).

Hope this helps others....

Old 06-20-12, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Camera broke? Let's see some pix.

Search this Thread