Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

removing very old door knob with absolutely no screws

Old 08-13-11, 08:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am trying to change a door lock that has absolutely no screws. I do not have any idea of how to get the knob part off. OR..even if this old knob comes off that way. Any help would be appreciated! I can see a pin that once it is removed the locking mechanism will come out but can't get to it until I remove the roses. I have put a pin, paperclip, icepick, screwdriver, etc in the small round hole that I see on the exterior but apparently it has to be aligned a certain way.

Old 08-13-11, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
hard to say without a picture to look at. I would guess that the knob is threaded, but they usually have a set screw. Grasp the knob on each side and turn each side counter clockwise at the same time. And look for a set screw on the handle stem. Or send us a link to a picture, maybe then we can see what you see.

Old 08-13-11, 04:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What he said..........some have set screws in the knob that release everything. Some have a spring loaded cover that allows access to the screws. Some knobs have a small slot or hole that allows a screwdriver/paperclip to release the knob. Pic would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: