Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior door knob issues

AR

09-02-11, 02:59 PM   #1  
Exterior door knob issues

My house was built in the '60's. Recently the door knob of an exterior door wouldn't open with my key. The key would insert but not rotate at all. It's not a special style knob, just a keyhole on exterior and (not sure of the correct term) the interior knob you can push and quarter turn to lock/unlock. Not a push or twist button interior lock.

I bought a replacement knob set and realized the distance between door knob center and edge of door was much shorter on the new set. Our exterior door knobs are in about 5 or 6 inches, while replacement is 2 or 3 inches.

Can you still buy the style with a longer latching rod?

Could the old knob be repaired possibly?

I'm renting and can't replace the door or do any serious carpentry to patch and re-fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-02-11, 03:34 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

You're renting? Call the landlord, this isn't your problem.

AR

09-02-11, 03:56 PM   #3  
Thanks mitch. Yes, yes, but my landlord is lame. He will come through on big stuff, but I thought I could take care of something seemingly simple and relatively inexpensive by myself.

CAL

09-02-11, 05:26 PM   #4  
Hi, Take the old lock to the store purcase the same brand and make sure the hardware that operates the latch is the same as the old lock. Install the new lock with the old latch.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-03-11, 04:14 PM   #5  
You could possibly use the old latch with the new lock, too. Just a thought. But you will be able to find the extra long throw latch if you do a good search.

AR

09-03-11, 05:31 PM   #6  
Thank you. I'll try it and post some details if it works out.

AR

09-03-11, 05:35 PM   #7  
Thanks. I hadn't though of that. It makes sense though, that the knob and lock mechanism should work the same regardless of the latch length. Thanks again.

Search this Thread