Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cant remove old door knob...?

NY

09-05-11, 05:28 PM   #1  
Cant remove old door knob...?

Hello everyone,

I am having a difficult time trying to remove an old door knob. After removing four screws is still does not budge. Ive tried to go at it with pliers but still cant get the thing off. Here are some pictures,

Front knob, I tried to remove the metal plate where there appears to be a hole underneath. Im not sure what this hole is for.

Rear of the knob where i removed the two screws.

Side plate where i removed two screws.

I removed a cap the door knob had and this is what it looked like inside.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

09-06-11, 07:20 AM   #2  
With all that paint on it, I'm not surprised that you can't remove it. On the side where you removed the 2 screws (2nd pic), take a wood chisel or a strong screw driver, put it where the plate meets the door & hit it with a hammer. Don't be afraid to hit it with some force.

NY

09-06-11, 07:39 AM   #3  
despite the paint i can actually move it around, i just cant get it off. I actually tried removing it with a pair of pliers but i'll try it with a chisel and hammer. Should it snap off (meaning is this the way its suppose to come off) or am i trying to break it off?

Temporarily Suspended

NY

09-06-11, 08:04 AM   #4  
The side where the screws are is supposed to slide away from the door but it's so old, it doesn't seem to be happening. If you have to break it to remove it, that's ok too.

NY

09-06-11, 04:51 PM   #5  
Thanks, i was able to pry it loose using a pair of pliers.

TN

09-16-11, 12:58 PM   #6  
that does look very difficult! i would beat around on it some more, to really loosen it up. see if that helps. are you trying not to break it? because that might be your only option.

TN

09-16-11, 01:05 PM   #7  
whoops, just now saw your last post, that you got it out with pliers. glad you got that taken care of

Search this Thread