Window well problems

Old 09-09-11, 08:31 AM
Window well problems

I have two window wells on the side of my house. During heavy rains, they fill up with water and the water seeps into the basement. When the house was built in 2000, we had a sump pump put in before we moved in. I also have bilko doors which tend to leak from underground. The combination of the bilko doors and the window wells is making my basement damp. I am a single homeowner and would like to know who I can call to fix this? Is is a plumber, contractor, window contractor, wet basement contractor, landscaper or who? Also, we did have window well covers over the windows but they were no use. Water still has a way of getting in. I also have electric which runs around the side of my house so I would need a professional to dig and do the work and the electric company to mark the electric lines. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-11, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Teresa, welcome to the forums! Most likely your problem is coming from the water having no where to exit once it gets into the well. Whoever installed the wells should have provided exit piping to either a lower part of the yard or into a dry wall system that would keep the water away from your foundation. In addition, I am not sure if the Bilko was installed during construction or post construction as an add on. The foundation should have been sealed from water intrusion from the OUTSIDE, using any number of methods in layers, then backfilled. The door instructions and common sense advise the proper layer method of underlayment and waterproofing that must be done for a proper installation.
Look into your window wells and see if there is a drain. You may want to take some pix and post them for us to see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
Call 811 to have the electric lines located and marked free of charge.

Old 09-10-11, 10:40 AM
Thank you chandler for your response. I believe the bilko doors were installed during construction of the house. Unfortunately, I did not see the house for sale until the shell was already constructed and the window wells installed. I did take photographs and put them on Photobucket. I hope you can see them ok. I know that I need drainage away from the house but again, who do I call, a contractor, plumber, landscaper??? Pictures by Teresa383 - Photobucket Thanks again.

Old 09-10-11, 01:09 PM
Teresa, I would say you call a landscaper. They should be able to address the drainage out of the window wells. They will have access to fill material to acquire the proper angle for keeping the water away from the doors also. I noticed the one gutter in the photos has the adapter turned upside down in my opinion. they should turn this over so the gutter feeds the top of the pipe instead of the bottom. Once the landscaper gets there they can tell you what they recommend for a fix for your problem. It is always easier to tell how to fix things when you can look at it yourself.
A contractor would be able to fix it also but it may be too small a job for them.
Ask both for a free, come out and see the problem and give you an estimate.

Old 09-10-11, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It appears, too the wells are purely for decoration as they do not go deep enough to stop water from coming under the lip. I would venture to say there is no silicone on the attachment lips, either, judging from the remainder of the installation. Yes, a landscaper, as Ben suggests would be your best bet to determine what needs to be done to get the water away. Just don't be surprised if their findings are as mine and suggest deeper wells. An expense, but worth it. The Bilko, about the only way to ensure a proper seal is to dig down on the outside, clean the area, reseal it all properly. Here again, if the wells are an indication of the construction methods used, the Bilkos are in just as much trouble.