Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Double Hung Windows

KS

09-10-11, 09:56 AM   #1  
Double Hung Windows

I have an old farm house that I need to replace the double hung windows (they are boarded up right now). They are roughly 26" x 61". Previous owner took out most frames, after a hail storm broke the glass out. Have found a few, would like to redo to original. Don't like the vinyl concept of windows.

Where do I get some, re-make some?
Can they be double paned glass?
Funds tight, and winter is soon to be here - living in the place and need to get it done soon.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-10-11, 01:27 PM   #2  
Jeld Wen, Andersen, Pella, and others make wooden windows. It will be a lifetime of painting, staining, caulking and general maintenance, but they make them. Since the frames are mostly laid to waste, if the perimeter framing is in good shape, I would have a representative come out and measure for the sizes you need. There is no need for you to measure "roughly" and get it wrong, especially in an older house.

DE

09-10-11, 04:00 PM   #3  
did they actually take out the old frames, or did they just remove the sashes from the frames.....big difference. If you need complete new frames/windows, your budget is not going to be happy, regardless of what brand you get, for authentic wood windows, look at Andersen. If you just need the sash, look at Weathershield or Marvin tilt pac wood sash replacement kits. They are available in a variety of glass configurations and options, with or without exterior clading.

KS

09-12-11, 11:15 AM   #4  
It's just the sash that was removed - the frames are still there. Are these kits a "put together" kit or pre- made w/o the glass?

GA

09-12-11, 03:56 PM   #5  
If the sashes were removed, you will need to install replacement windows. There are, to my knowledge, any "kits" that will allow you to build your own window. You can buy the sashes that will fit your needs, usually custom made, but new replacement windows will be insulated and will go in quickly at a lesser cost.

Super Moderator

AZ

09-12-11, 04:28 PM   #6  
Well....Jeld-Wen used to have wood sash replacement kits that included new jamb liners...and they weren't that expensive (depending on size and options). Of course expensive is relative.

Since all their replacement kits are all computer cut...there wasn't really an upcharge for odd sizes. They really had an amazing factory.

6 week lead time as I remember.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

GA

09-12-11, 05:10 PM   #7  
I think the word "kit" got thrown into the mix in error. A "kit" tells me you can build your own. Buying sashes made for your opening is the way to go.

Search this Thread