Latch on Sliding Door

Old 09-10-11, 06:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latch on Sliding Door

Hi,

I'm a real DIY newbie, so please be gentle.

We have a sliding wooden door (wooden door frame) between our house and our garage. The door currently has something fitted (I don't know what it's called) where if you push the top bit in, a bit on the bottom pops out so you can grab it and pull it to move the sliding door. I hope that description makes sense.

What we want is some sort of latch so that the sliding door, when closed, can't be opened unless you flick the latch. The problem is that we want the latch to be flickable (so that the door can be unlocked) equally easily from each side. The latch isn't for security, it's to keep the darn cat in the house, not the garage (he can actually open the sliding door. A latch will be enough to stop that).

I found some fittings that look like they'd do the job, but they had a latch only on one side - they were more for security.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there an easier way to do this? The whole object is just to stop the cat being able to open it.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Old 09-10-11, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You are describing a pocket door, not a sliding door assembly. Is that correct? If you buy a lockable latch, it will replace the one you have and you can lock it and unlock it from both sides (one side with a coin, the other with a thumb latch).

Old 09-11-11, 01:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You are describing a pocket door, not a sliding door assembly. Is that correct? If you buy a lockable latch, it will replace the one you have and you can lock it and unlock it from both sides (one side with a coin, the other with a thumb latch).
Thanks for your reply. That's the problem - we don't want to have to use a coin, we want it to be nice and easy to open for people, just not for cats.

Old 09-11-11, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
You need a double sided lock like IVES model #IV-992.

http://zipflockco.com/HDCAT/Sliding_Door_Locks.pdf

or locksearch.com/IVES/Ives_Sliding_Door_Hardware.htm

Old 09-11-11, 12:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There ya go...in a nutshell! After my first post, I have been thinking. This door transverses your house and garage? No. It must be a fire rated door with self closers. Was this an add on garage? Were permits pulled for it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: