Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Storm window for a bay window

MD

09-19-11, 07:41 AM   #1  
Storm window for a bay window

Hi,

We have a multi-pane, flat rectangular bay window in our living room that does not have an outer storm window facing the elements. In the winter, this window gets very cold, causing a significant heat loss in the room.

I was wondering if there was a way to make an outer "storm" type window that would create an insulating air gap between the bay window and outside air.

There is a nice external wood window frame that I could attach the storm window to, assuming that I could get the frame and pane made.

Let me know re any ideas on this one and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

09-19-11, 08:40 AM   #2  
Sure....most any place that sells storm windows could order one or make them onsite if it's a full service shop. They'll need some measurements and pictures if they won't come out to measure. Depending on size it might need to be double strength or tempered glass.

You said multi-pane...do you mean a lot of smaller individual single panes or dual pane insulated glass? A storm won't help as much in the latter case...and could actually cause problems if it's not adequately vented.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NM

09-19-11, 09:03 AM   #3  
Why not have a glass shop replace the entire subdivided window with a new, insulated glass insert? You will have more light, better insulation, and I bet the difference in price will be less than what you're losing on your utility bills in a year with the present window.

MD

09-19-11, 10:03 AM   #4  
Smaller individual panes--not dual paned insulated glass.

Thanks

Super Moderator

AZ

09-19-11, 11:24 AM   #5  
Ok...then Dougs option would be the most efficient...but probably the most costly and may not match the other windows very well. You could get a storm with a LoE inner coating and that might be a big help.....does it also get a lot of heat through it in summer?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread