Black window caulking seaping out of window.

Old 09-21-11, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Black window caulking seaping out of window.

I recently purchased a condo and have had an issue with the window. It seems like some black caulking has come out from the inside of the window and is basically its getting on everything. Its sticky and making a huge mess. Anyone have any suggestions? do i just scrape it all off and re-caulk the window before it gets cold?

any help would be apprieciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
That sounds kind of odd, could you post a pic or two? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Your plan sounds good If the black caulking is tar/asphalt based, a rag wet with paint thinner will probably clean off the residue that the scraping will leave behind.

Old 09-21-11, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like possibly a window glass was replaced and they used old sealant. Same kind of stuff they use when putting in a windshield on a car. It should cure completely w/in a day or two...if not, something wasn't done right.

Mark is right though...pics would be a big help...

Old 09-22-11, 05:49 AM
Question more about the caulking

not camera at the time guys or i would tell ya. This is not a new problem it has been on the windows for a month or so and remains rather sticky almost like gum. its been sticking to the bottom of the blinds and such and getting on my hands. Its brutal. should i use some scraper to get it off? tried the plastic one to start but its no doing the greatest job.

Old 09-22-11, 05:57 AM
Post woh ill never post again after just waking up.

that line should say "no camera or i would show ya" geez long night last nite lol

Old 09-22-11, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'd try scraping first. If paint thinner dissolves it - you don't want to use any more than necessary because it will also smear it around. After you get it cleaned up as best you intend to, use a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN to seal what's left. Pigmented shellac will stick to most anything and dries hard which will prevent the 'goo' from sticking to you or anything else.