Window drip cap when installing trim

Old 09-24-11, 10:04 PM
Window drip cap when installing trim

I'm getting ready to install Marvin Integrity windows while replacing my siding. The instructions indicate that a drip cap should be added over the top jamb, but I'm wondering if that holds true if I'm trimming them out. The trim board over the top jamb would also require z-flashing/drip cap, so does it make sense to add it in both places? I was planning on just flashing the trim.

If it's only required on the trim, is there a minimum amount of distance the trim has to extend beyond the window?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-11, 03:16 PM
The terminology may differ, but flashing/drip cap is needed over any window, regardless of the type of trim. It should be metal(aluminum/copper), go up under all layers of housewrap/siding, and down over the top edge of the window, extending a bit over the edge.

Old 09-26-11, 10:25 PM
I think you're question is do you need to do it both over the window and over the trim.

No.

But, as Just Bill sez, do it over the window and do it properly.

Old 09-27-11, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In looking at the website, the windows may come without any trim. If that is the case the flashing should be installed at the window level. What type siding are you using? Will you be using vinyl j channel or brick mold around the windows?

Old 09-30-11, 08:20 AM
Siding is James Hardie fiber cement plank, but around the windows it will be Miratec trim broads. Miratec that's installed horizontally also requires z-flashing, so it sounds like it's required in both places.

Old 09-30-11, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your Miratek is going flat against OSB and Tyvek, then you would only need to use window seal tape on the window flanges (if any), and flash over the Miratek.