Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help! wet brick under window, old window sill, 1930's house

MA

10-20-11, 05:47 AM   #1  
Help! wet brick under window, old window sill, 1930's house

Hey guys, I need some help. I just bought my first home, a 1930's rowhouse with old windows. The entire house is brick. Now when i was going through and patching up holes for painting, I noticed a mushy wall beneath one window. This window had duct tape all around it, which I figured they had done because of a draft or something. Well, the entire section below the window peeled off, and I discovered a moist windowsill (the part the joins the rough opening in the brick) and a wet wall. It was raining when I did this. There was drywall, cavity, and brick -- no insulation, which is probably the norm with an older home like this (?). What I need to figure out is whether it's leaking brick work, or a leaking window sill. What should I do to assess this problem? If the whole window needs replacement, I'm going to have to wait until I can afford it. I just don't know what I'd be able to do in the meantime to seal it up for the upcoming winter....

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-20-11, 05:58 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

You'll need to inspect the exterior side of the window. Caulking might be able to correct the moisture issue. Look for gaps around the perimeter of the window and for missing mortar.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread