Replacing interior doors

Old 10-20-11, 02:31 PM
Cool Replacing interior doors

Getting new interior closet doors from big box store. Need to do two of them. Nothing in my house is standard size so I need to cut them down. Since I only have a hand saw right now - what kind of saw do I need to get to trim these down?

Is getting the new doors cut down and hinges and handle parts cut out hard? I have the old doors for templates.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 02:45 PM
Closet Doors

What kind of doors? Bi-fold, slab, French?

Old 10-20-11, 03:36 PM
How high are the old doors??? Many big box and lumberyards stock 78" doors, with 80" being a standard.

Something to use as an edge guide and a circular saw with a fine tooth carbide blade is best. Whatever type of door it is, score the door on both sides, at the cut line, with a utility knife. And cut st or below that line. This will eliminate or reduce tear out during the cut.

Cutting it down is fairly easy, doing hinge mortises in the correct location is not. It has to be precise!!! I have been doing it for 26 yrs and still get it wrong about 1/3 of the time. Wrong can be as little as 1/8".

Old 10-21-11, 01:55 AM
Unhappy

Thanks Bill - Looks like I'm going to try to Gorilla Glue and wood filler first. I don't know if I'm up to all that precision right now. I just want my doors back up after laying new tile.

The doors aren't terrible - just 'fraying' a bit at the bottom. Maybe if I catch them now it won't get worse?

Old 10-21-11, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you have the doors off to make the repairs - paint the bottom edge of the door. That helps prevent moisture from being 'sucked' up and should allow the repair to last longer. Are you sure the doors will still fit ok after installing the tile? It might be feasible to trim the bottom of the doors, possibly removing the damage.

Old 10-21-11, 07:10 AM
Thanks all -
These are simple hollow core closet doors less than 24" wide. Yes I'm sure the doors will fit because there was carpet there before. In fact they might be a bit short. Hmmmm maybe a skirt on the bottom??? Just kidding. I am repainting all the doors, trim etc so the idea of painting the bottom of the door won't be a toughie. I'm just hoping the glue and wood fill will work.

Old 11-20-11, 01:02 PM
Thumbs up It's Done!

Thanks everyone. I used wood filler to fill in uneven spots and places where the bottom was peeling up. It worked great but took me awhile to get it presentable. Lots of patching, lots of sanding. The doors were a mess but they look great now. Thanks for your input.

Stay tuned for my next project. I'm sure I'll need help there too. At least I know where to come for help.

Old 11-20-11, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ain't it great to finish a job and have those bragging rites!

For future reference, the neater you apply a patching compound the less you have to sand. I'd rather apply an extra coat of filler than do any extra sanding

Old 11-22-11, 04:54 PM
Red face

You're so right. I ended up fixing all six doors in the hallway and updating the paint on the trim. Just finished painting the hall itself this afternoon. Now to sit back with a soda and enjoy my handiwork! Thought I'd never get done but is was worth every minute.

Search this Thread