Purchasing and installing custom window

Old 10-24-11, 05:51 PM
Purchasing and installing custom window

Hello,

We live in a condo with cathedral ceilings and there is an opening from second floor to first floor. Having kids that are becoming more curious I want to put a window in that opening. I'd like a sliding window and possibly something that is more sound proof - it doesn't have to be super sound proof but something that will keep the noise of TV from downstairs out from upstairs.

Here are some pictures I took of the opening: Photo Album - Imgur

The dimensions are (in inches): 73.5 (w) 60 (h) 4.5 (d)

I never dealt with windows before so I'd like if possible:
  • A price of sliding window for this size
  • Where to buy such window, I live in NJ
  • Approximate price for installation

Also, should I use a general company: Home Depot, Sears; go with Andersen Windows, WindowRama etc., and have them install it or hire a private contractor?

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-11, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
A window in such a location, inside the home, would be *very* strange, and would most certainly affect the resale value of the condo.

IMO you ought to consider calling a glass company (not a window company) and tell them you have an opening that you would like to have some custom glass bifolds made and installed. the glass company will come out, take measurements, give you some glass options, and can come back to install. They will give you an estimate, we really can't. If you wanted me to guess I'd say $1400 for the glass and hardware and a professional install, if you wanted high end stuff. (Go to Google Images and enter "decorative glass panels")

If bifolds don't trip your trigger, they could probably also put in two or three glass panels that could roll in a track like bypass doors. You might consider getting some sort of interesting style of glass that would be obscure, but would still let plenty of light in. You'd be amazed at all the styles of decorative glass that there are to choose from.

I suppose they wouldn't necessarily have to operate, although I would imagine that would be nice to have the option to open them... so you could also consider some fixed glass panels. Maybe with some leaded or etched glass?

Something like that would look more fitting in an opening like that. A "window" would not.

Old 10-25-11, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
I'd have some pros out to take a look - my personal opinion would not be to put anything in that space but it's not my home. That said, I think Sleeper's right that a window is not going to be a good choice.