Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

can i add a 'fancy' doorlock later on? - lock issue

Old 10-30-11, 05:25 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts

how difficult is it to change from a standard knob and deadbolt to a 'fancy' set , something like this later on?

Shop Schlage Antique Pewter Residential Door Handleset at Lowes.com

Im thinking about getting a door but i'm sure the dealer i use will be mucho $$$$ so wanted to save if i can. just didnt know how hard that would be.

also just wondering is it possible to get the new lock keyed to my existing locks just like i did before? i have some kind of commercial locks on my door (when the ex moved out I took out the cylinders to be rekeyed all to the same he asked if this was home or business)...i'm assuming yes but wanted to be sure. i really prefer all 4 doors to my house have the same key and i very likely will be installing other doors myself in the next year

HMI door if it matters: Entry Door Jambs | Entry Door Framing |
dont wanna save a few bucks only to create headaches down the road but if it's ez to do, ill do it

Old 10-31-11, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
The hardware switch and keying shouldn't be a problem. From the description:

"-Designed for standard door prep (fits existing pre-drilled holes)
-Universal latch adjusts to fit 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" ".

Old 10-31-11, 10:09 AM
L
ok cool thanks, i dont mind paying for an expensive door but if i can do the expensive set later on ill just get standard knob for now

i just didnt know if they would cut things differently for a typical knob vs the fancy stuff

Old 10-31-11, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I was hoping one of the door pros would chime in.

Far as I know the standard holes for locksets are pretty universal; I think the only variation is diameter of the holes and the distance from the door edge. From what I remember most locksets are adjustable to compensate for those adjustments.

Old 11-01-11, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There's nothing really "fancy" about that set. Sure it has the large handle and thumb lever, but it's just a standard thing. Since there's no connection between the deadbolt and the handle...even hole spacing doesn't really matter. If it was something like this...Shop BALDWIN SmartKey Satin Nickel Residential Single-Lock Door Handleset at Lowes.com the spacing is more important.

Matter of fact, I never really liked them cause you lose the privacy lock function. With one like you show, it's either completely unlocked or deadbolted. I believe there are some that have the privacy feature...but not sure.

Old 11-01-11, 10:04 AM
L
ah baldwin..from my area but moving out of town..sad

but now i see the difference in what you posted vs me. the connection....

what's a privacy function

Old 11-01-11, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
You know...the button you push or turn to lock the doorknob (not throwing the deadbolt)? Not really much security..but it keeps the casual lost drunk from just walking in by turning the knob? Sorta like a typical bathroom handle.

I use it if I'm just leaving the house for a few minutes.

Old 11-02-11, 05:01 AM
L
ah the 2 butttons in the side of the door, i thougth that was a 50's thing from my locks lol. good to know they are still around today. never used it though. funny about casual drunk...no one comes up my steps much less drunk..even UPS hates coming up all the steps and sometimes leaves the packages at the bottom of the steps

the important thing i just wanted to know is that i wasnt stuck with the standard knob if thats all i got. and the door is rarely ever even used ,maybe to get the sunday paper but if i spend the $ on the door i may want to spend more on the handle someday and make it all perty

Old 11-02-11, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Actually. I meant the button in the center of the knob, like this
and then it's keyed on the outside for an entrance door, or just has a little hole for a bathroom door.

I remember the ones with the button on the side, but I don't really remember how they functioned.

Old 11-02-11, 08:08 AM
L
oh a button..gotcha..the handles the dealer carries dont have that button on the one i'm looking at. interesting...the buttons on the side functioned by pressing one in and then the door knob wouldnt turn, u could lock the door without a key but of course the deadlock wasnt locked..just the knob couldnt turn. i looked at the other options in the book and i guess what i have on my old door is a mortise lock..from the side it has the deadbolt up top, the door latch, then the 2 buttons on bottom you can lock or unlock the knob. so it still exists today

also for my house the 2 bathrooms and all bedrooms have a sort of allen wrench with a slot in it so you could open the bedroom doors etc if you really needed to. it was hung outside the power room when i moved in..

Old 11-03-11, 06:16 PM
L
just an update..ordered the door today...i forget the breakout of the handle/paint etc but i can buy the handle for 159 from home depot..my original door price was 1400 then he added the handle, hinges, and paint and it only went up to 1600...minus 10% for my doing 2 jobs at once...so i thought that was a deal and just grabbed it vs putting one in myself. my guess is he knew the door was overpriced so just adjusted down a tad lol. because no way are all those 3 things just 200 bucks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: