Mold stain

Old 11-03-11, 04:33 PM
Mold stain

Dose any one know of a product that can remove mold stain. I have double hung windows that have developed a stain on them because of mold growing on them I killed the mold but not able to get rid of the stain. The surface is vinyl wood grain vinner.

friday

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-11, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A bleach/water solution should remove it. Use 30% bleach, a little elbow grease might be needed.

Old 11-04-11, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Mold and mildew stains on vinyl can be tough, I'm not sure what kind of results you're going to see here.

Old 11-04-11, 10:04 AM
You are right about tough I have yet to find any thing that will remove them.
Thanks to marksr and mitch17 for the response. I do know that bleach will kill the mold
and mildew but can not remove the stain it leaves.

friday

Old 11-04-11, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try adding a little detergent to the mix and use a scrub brush.

Old 11-05-11, 04:17 PM
i would use something natural with baking soda possibly.

Old 11-05-11, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
I would gently scrub it with soft scrub with bleach or zud, which is also a rust remover. Oxiclean is also an idea... clamp a wet rag w/oxiclean on the stain and leave it for several hours.

Old 11-06-11, 06:17 AM
Thank You XSleeper I wil try your suggestion and let you know how it works.

friday

Old 11-07-11, 01:12 PM
Is the mold small circular drops that look like tar all over the vinyl? We had this happen about 3 years ago from a batch of mulch and it was all over our old aluminmum siding and windows in areas near the flower beds with the mulch. It's called artillery fungus and is pretty common with unfortunately no means of cleaning off.

Artillery Fungus- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Old 11-08-11, 03:56 AM
Yes I had some of that mold on the house and I picked up a product at Home Depot it comes in a spray bottle and with a small brush I was able to remove all of mold and mildew but it would not begin to remove the stain I have on the double hung windows on the inside. I did try oxiclean and soft scrub with no luck I did not know it was there becuse I rarely lift the shade above the center of the window and it had a chance to inbed itself into the vinyl viner before I did any thing about it. It's very posible that I wont get this stain off.

I will check to see if I saved the empty bottle and the name of that cleaner that worked so well on the outside of the house and I will put it in my next reply.
friday

Old 11-08-11, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
The most aggressive thing you could try is actually a product that will "melt" the vinyl. It is called Vandal Mark Remover and it comes in a spray can. I'm not sure if it would remove the stain either, or if it would just permanently EMBED the color. What you would do with it is spray it on like spray paint and it is such a strong solvent that it will melt the surface of the vinyl, which will then resolidify once the solvent evaporates.

If you are going to try the solvent, I'd probably recommend that you sand the mold spots with some sandpaper to try and remove as much color as you can, then use the vandal mark remover to clean up the small scratches in the vinyl. You would be using this product at your own risk because it's quite powerful.

Old 11-08-11, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, you're having the results I expected.

At this point, I think I'd prime and paint, even though I know that's a pain.

Search this Thread