Advice on New Windows in 1828 Brick Home

Old 11-13-11, 06:11 PM
Advice on New Windows in 1828 Brick Home

I'm replacing the el cheapo aluminum windows in my 1828 townhouse with true divided lights, 6 over 6, weight and pulley windows, as close as possible to the originals.

Most of the windows will go into brick walls (with wood framed interior walls), except for the dormer windows.

It looks complicated to install windows in brick walls and I need to make sure the contractor knows what he's doing. I don't want to lose window area because some contractor does a bad job and has to "fill in" around the frame to meet the brick opening. So I'd like to know the right questions to ask.

The interior RO is larger the the exterior RO. Which measurement is used for ordering the windows?
How are they installed?
Is the brick mould installed before the window or afterwards?

If anyone is experienced in historic renovations, I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! In more modern construction allowance is given on the brick RO for brick mold, which is about 2 1/4" wide. I don't know what the difference is that you have. Window measurements are made horizontally across the interior RO in 3 places, noting the shortest dimension. Likewise with the vertical measurement. Brick mold is often a part of the window, but doesn't necessarily have to be. It can be installed either before (if he is good) or after installation of the windows (for ease of installation of the windows).

Old 11-14-11, 03:08 PM
There were no standards when that house was built, and the probability that all opening are even the same is '0'. Measure carefully!! If the inside is larger than the outside, you might be able to use the outside as a stop for the frame. Then trim the brickmold as needed.

Old 11-14-11, 05:00 PM
new windows

Congratulations on deciding to restore your home! It is always a shame to me that people have to change something that is beautiful in its own way.

It sounds like your windows are custom so you might want to insist that your contractor has a manufacturer's rep come and take the measurements for each and every window. They would also provide installation instructions to your contractor that should be suitable for an 1828 home - it is not the same as today. The windows will probably be made with allowances for shimming and insulation and will be + / - 1" less than the smallest measurement in each dimension. The brick mold will cover the gap on the exterior.
In the interior, you would install some extension jambs to come out flush with the drywall. These could be done with a reveal against the installed jambs and create great visual interest. Any other interior gaps would be covered by the window moldings.

Sounds like an exciting project - good luck with it!

Jim