Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gap Between Storm Door Sweep and Threshold

TX

11-18-11, 04:48 AM   #1  
Gap Between Storm Door Sweep and Threshold

Hello,

I recently installed a Larson storm door and seem to have run into an issue. The front door installation was very smooth with no problems..the back door installation has presented me with the problem outlined below.

With the door sweep fully extended, there is about a 3/4" gap between the bottom of the door and the threshold as shown in this screenshot:

http://www.theprezonline.com/doorgap.jpg

Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this? The adjustable sweep is not the issue as it's at the right height...its the distance between the door and jamb that seems to be the problem.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-18-11, 05:15 AM   #2  
Looks like the sill needs to be extended. If it's cement, I'd suggest the following:

1). Glue and screw a sill nose onto the front of the sill, using tapcons and PL Premium adhesive. (not my favorite idea since people will step on it putting all their weight on it which might eventually make it come loose. (which is why I'd recommend the PL Premium cuz its best)

It would be best if you'd follow that up with the next step:

2). Have a welding shop make you a piece of steel, brass, or aluminum that will cover the entire sill (you might even want to extend it underneath the current aluminum threshold, unless that changes the height of the threshold too much). If they make this piece so that it extends out farther, then goes down 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" and then returns back to the house by 1 1/2"... then this piece would slip right over the top of that sill nose. You'd want to countersink a few tapcon screws into the top of this cap so that it can't move around. 2-4 screws and a little PL would probably be sufficient.

If you really wanted to get fancy, once you have the thing cut to fit just the way you want it, you could take it somewhere to have it powder coated with a finish.

Search this Thread