Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Double Hung Sash Repair

CAL

11-25-11, 12:10 PM   #1  
Double Hung Sash Repair

Hopefully I can find some guidance here. Recently removed a
double hung window for repair. The bottom of the sash had pulled apart so I drilled and doweled to square the window. After
re-glazing and painting I installed the windows. Now they hang
very crooked in the frame. These are older windows that were
originally sash weight windows. Those had been replaced with coil
tape balances. Don't know how old those are. In any event I tried placing window springs on the side sashes but these did little good.Is there anyway to true these windows?

Last edited by mikencare55; 11-25-11 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-25-11, 01:22 PM   #2  
First thing to check are those counterweight springs, to make sure they have equal tension... sometimes one will hang up which will make the sash appear cocked in the opening. Lubricate them as needed, and make sure they are hooked properly.

The glass usually will keep the sash from getting out of square, so unless the glass was sloppy or you didn't get the rail and stile clamped tightly, I would think that the sash would be square. (you can check the diagonals to see if it's square by measuring them) Most often, when you have a sash in an out-of-square opening (the sill is out of level, or jambs are not plumb) the window sashes need to be cut to match the opening. I'd hold the sash so that the top stile of the bottom sash is even with the bottom stile of the top sash (where the upper and lower sashes meet) Then determine how much needs to be cut off of the bottom edge of the sash so that when it is shut it contacts the sloped sill evenly all the way across so that it doesn't want totip from side to side.

If, after cutting the bottom of the sash, the window sash drops down too low to lock, you would need to glue a straight shim to the bottom of the window sash to shim the window back up so that the sashes are even where the lock is usually positioned.

CAL

11-26-11, 09:47 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps the problem is in the counterweight springs. They're old and may need to be replaced. Both sashes are crooked in the jambs, both pulling to the side where the springs attach. I relocated the placement of the springs with little changenoted. Before I replace the springs I want to try to lubricate them. What would you
suggest as a lubricant. Thanks in advance.

Group Moderator

NE

11-26-11, 11:18 AM   #4  
Posted By: mikencare55 Both sashes are crooked in the jambs, both pulling to the side where the springs attach.
That statement strikes me as a little odd, since the springs (left and right) attach to BOTH sides of the sash, the sashes shouldn't be cocked to one side, they should be suspended in the air and should hang evenly.

WD-40 would probably be the first thing I'd try if they are kind of seized by rust.

CAL

11-26-11, 01:19 PM   #5  
Okay so here is where I might go stupid, but just want to make sure we're talking apples to apples. Looking at the window from the inside,the coil springs are in the jambs,side by side, on the right side. When I said I relocated the springs, I actually relocated where the tape end attaches to the sash, i.e moved the attachment further out to the side of the sash. By doing this I thought it might take the lean out of it. As far as lubricating...I can pull the spring out fully and there seems to be good tension..no sign of rust.

Group Moderator

NE

11-26-11, 01:28 PM   #6  
You say they are on the right side... where are the ones on the left???

CAL

11-26-11, 06:06 PM   #7  
Both coil springs are on the right side and both attach to the bottom of each sash on their right sides.

Group Moderator

NE

11-26-11, 06:16 PM   #8  
Well there is your problem then. In order to lift the sash evenly, you would also need coil springs on the left side.

CAL

11-27-11, 12:04 PM   #9  
Well as is said, it's always best to have all the information. Left this part out..On the op-posite side of the sash there are small rollers. One for each window. This must be a unique system.

Group Moderator

NE

11-27-11, 12:13 PM   #10  
never heard of such a thing. I would think that there would need to be more than one roller on the left to prevent the sash from tipping... or maybe the opening is just too wide and sloppy for the sash to operate smoothly. Sounds like a strange patent.

CAL

11-27-11, 01:08 PM   #11  
Yeah I got a strange one here. I've been puzzling over this one for about a month which is why I came here. Got no idea what to do.

Group Moderator

NE

11-27-11, 02:05 PM   #12  
If it seems like the opening is too wide and the sash fits too sloppy from side to side, maybe placing a shim on the roller side of the sash would help, such as a piece of lattice. (lattice is about 7/32" thick and comes in various widths).

CAL

11-29-11, 08:48 PM   #13  
Well thanks again. I'm going to go online and see if I can find some replacement rollers. As I've thought about it, it seems like maybe the old rollers don't have the spring tension they had when initially installed. I'll keep you posted if you think further information
would be helpful in your future advice. Regards, Mikencare

Group Moderator

NE

11-30-11, 02:08 PM   #14  
What kind of rollers are they? ball type? If so, there may be a way to set the tension on them, by screwing them in or out, depending on the adjustment needed.

CAL

12-01-11, 04:33 PM   #15  
Gosh-wish it were that easy. As I recall the rollers are spring loaded, and are held in place by a type of U bracket that's recessed into the side of the sash.

Search this Thread