Advice on framing in a window?

Old 12-01-11, 01:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on framing in a window?

Im about to do a bathroom remodel. One of the 2 windows is going to need covered so I can install a bathtub and shower. Framing it in isnt going to be a problem but Im a little concerned about the exterior wall portion and moisture. I need something thats going to look nice and will last. I thought about using faux brick to match the house or even using a marine plywood and staining it to match the house but not sure how well those would hold up to the weather. If it were you how would you tackle the exterior part?

Old 12-01-11, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Assuming that the wall around this window is brick, I would probably use real brick rather than faux brick.

Old 12-01-11, 02:32 PM
J
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Assuming that the wall around this window is brick, I would probably use real brick rather than faux brick.
I've actually tossed that idea around in my head but Im not sure how much that would cost and if I have the skills to do it. Its a 2nd floor bathroom so would that be a pain to do? The houses are also really close together so its not really noticeable from the front yard or the street. I just didnt want to have the boarded over window look.

Old 12-01-11, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
A pain? probably. But anything will be at that height. You could either build some staging for scaffold, or use ladders and ladder jacks if you're not too high (over 16'). If you didn't care that the brick doesn't match exactly, you could probably pick up some spare brick fairly cheap. Laying brick isn't too tough, provided you get the mortar mixed to the correct consistency.

At least with brick the plane of the wall will continue unbroken. If someone wants to open it back up someday that's still an option if you don't tooth out the sides.

Old 12-01-11, 04:58 PM
J
Well cool thanks for the replies. Im going to head to Lowes tomorrow and pick up some 2x4's and what not to frame the bathtub and window. I'll definitely make a trip to check out the cost of the brick. Its a relatively small opening (roughly 30x38) so whatever route I take it shouldnt be to expensive.

Old 12-01-11, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget a 4x4 of plywood for your sheathing (usually 1/2" in newer houses) 3/4" in older ones and then you will want some housewrap or felt paper to cover the exterior side of the sheathing to make it weather tight. Good luck!

And by "build some scaffold" above, I didn't actually mean "build" but rent and erect. LOL Just clearing that up b4 someone jumps on me about building your own scaffold! :NO NO NO:

Old 12-02-11, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Now, there's nothing wrong with building your own, as long as it is done right

Old 12-02-11, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, that is awesome! Where's the x-bracing on that bottom section? These guys have a death wish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: