Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Pella, renweal by Anderson or Marvin or ply-gem or...

Old 12-07-11, 03:11 PM

I need about 4 sliding patio doors..
any idea what is good quality.
Is renewal by Anderson wood and vinyl clad any good?
or should I stick with wood and aluminum clad or plain vinyl
I am in Michigan....

Any input is appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-11, 03:35 PM
I may not be a good person to ask since I just have had a Renewal by Andersen oversize/custom window put in to replace an old "monster".

I have already decided to put in 3 more of the same in the spring and will not even shop around since I already learned the differences earlier during my shopping. My new slider is tighter than any refrigerator or freezer in my home. The company is 100% on time, full service and detail oriented and does a complete job when it comes to documenting the original and dimensions (about 30 photos plus many measurements). Since I have taken the American Association of Manufacturers class on door and window installation, there was not a thing that was neglected.

Installation took about 2 1/2 hours at the house including parking the huge fully equipped trailer with many saws, compressors, trimming saws, breaks, vacuums, supplies and who knows what. The time included time for making new interior trim, vacuuming the carpet, shampooing and possible bit of carpet soiling. The unfortunate thing is that the installer/sub-contractor refuses to do windows.

I did not know it, but the bid included the permit and inspection and the installation of as many CO sensors as required for thr local code.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 12-07-11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 04:02 PM
IMHO.........never Pella. Renewal is a bit pricey, but a good product. I like Andersen, but i would look for a good contractor to do doors. AVOID big box, check local lumber yards for products and installers.

Old 12-08-11, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
I've lived in more than one home with Marvin windows and I would not hesitate to use them again.