Interior Door Closers?

Old 12-13-11, 07:19 PM
Interior Door Closers?

I have an interior door which goes to my basement, and my kids are constantly leaving it wide open. I'm wondering if any one has had good experiences with products especially for closing interior doors, or DIY solutions that they know of.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Changing out your existing hinges for spring hinges would be the simplest solution... a small hydraulic closer, like a Ryobi Doorman would be a 2nd option. Course, you could always take away your kid's Wii until they learn to shut the door... lol

Old 12-15-11, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the tips. I had no idea there were spring hinges. I'll definitely give that a shot.

Old 12-16-11, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
I have a bathroom door that stayed open until we decided to hang a bunch of heavy robes from the back side. I replaced one hinge with a spring hinge. It was just enough to gently move the door but not enough power to make it slam. Adjustable spring hinges are about $10 each. Installation might require a little work with a chisel if the spring hinge is a different size than your existing but it's a pretty simple job.

At my office I have several Tell Manufacturing residential door closers. They work but are more obtrusive than a spring hinge since there is a box & arm attached at the top of the door and cost about $25. There is another type of door closer made by Prime-Line that I have not tried and it costs less than $15.