Sliding door sill

Old 12-16-11, 06:11 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding door sill

I have two patio doors that I will eventually replace due to rot.
The outside is brick and the sill now is brick edged together at an angle like you see on some windows.
My contractor told me that this is a cheap way to do it and a problem for water leaks from within the mortar, he said remove the brick layer and replace with concrete slab and then put the door.

Is this the best way of doing a door in brick veneer opening?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-11, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I think your contractor is full of... um, bologna. There may be some ulterior motive he has for removing the brick that he hasn't told you, so I can't say for sure. Maybe he thinks the rot is so bad that he will NEED to remove the brick. But generally, no- there is no good reason the brick would need to be removed. If the height is a problem (say your old doors had a sloped sill nose on them or something weird) he would just need to lay down a subsill (Azek works well since it will never rot) on top of the brick ledge which can be sealed up nicely to the brick.

Replacing concrete and replacing doors at the same time rarely works well, because you can't do the two at the same time and be completely finished the same day. You can't caulk on wet cement, and the best time to caulk the door is AS you put it in, not AFTER you put it in.

Old 12-16-11, 12:48 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I have heard though even brick venner as sills on windows is not recommended as the mortar can leak water.
Isnt this the case with doors as well.. I have one place where the mortar is cracked.. I mean I can fix the mortar, but wouldnt a one piece sill limestone be better ?

Old 12-16-11, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Any brick wall can leak water, since brick is not waterproof. Well, the brick might be, but the mortar is not. The #30 felt behind the brick is your weather resistant barrier (WRB) and it is what keeps your wall dry. Brick sills are used all the time, so I don't know where you're getting your information.