Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

window caulking

PA

12-17-11, 06:19 AM   #1  
window caulking

i need to re-caulck my windows.....what is the best (easy to work with) caulcking.......If i remember correctly i originally used osi and it was't as sloppy as other caulcking..thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-17-11, 06:25 AM   #2  
Exactly what are you caulking on your windows? generally, a siliconized acrylic latex caulk is best for long life and paintability. A wet rag or sponge helps to keep your fingers clean and to remove any excess or mess.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

12-17-11, 12:57 PM   #3  
I'm caulking the flashing between the brick and the window itself

Group Moderator

NE

12-17-11, 01:42 PM   #4  
OSI Quad works well, but if you want something that tools nicely I'd recommend Vulkem 116. You can run a bead of caulk and if it is kind of lumpy you come back with another tool (I usually cut a shim 3/8 - 1/2" wide and drag it across the top of the caulking to smooth it out. Lightly pull one direction, then lightly drag it up the opposite direction. I think you'll be pleased with the results. Vulkem is sold at most Lowes, HD and Menards. You usually want to use a color that matches the window trim color. If that's not possible then try to match the brick color.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-17-11, 02:20 PM   #5  
When caulking against brick it's best to apply it as neat as you can and eliminate or at least limit the amount of tooling. I rarely ever tool the caulking against the brick. Since you more than likely won't be using a latex caulk, use a rag wet with thinner instead of water. You can also take a small brush and bucket of paint thinner and very lightly smooth the caulk out with the brush.

I always try to match the window color with the caulking. If you think you will have trouble keeping a clean line against the brick you might be better off using a clear silicone.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

12-17-11, 02:23 PM   #6  
The only caulking I have ever tooled this way is Vulkem. It reacts to tooling differently than any other sealant I have ever used- must be the sanded texture. You get very professional results without needing any type of thinner. Unless you get it all over yourself somehow, of course...

PA

12-17-11, 04:39 PM   #7  
Thanks my windows and trim are white....[I] should not have trouble finding white ...thanks for your help

Search this Thread