Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing sealed glass unit in vinyl windows....measuring question?

Old 01-05-12, 10:59 AM
GXM

Hello,

I am goiing to replace the glass sealed units in my vinyl widows. The frames are good, just the window seals have failed. So I measured the glass edge to edge in both directions for size. When I called the local window manufacturer for a price, she also asked me for thinkness of the glass? My windows have two panes of glass, separated by an aluminum spacerp around the preimeter (pretty standard stuff). Stamped into the aluminum is the manufactures name, year and "W2-D-5/8". Now, I assume 5/8 is the aluminum spacer width ie. 5/8"....but what is the W2-D ? and does this help with the glass thinkness or must I pull out the sealed glass unit and measure the thinkness manually?

Thanks,
GXM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
I think the last one I did they wanted to know the outside thickness of the glass assembly. In your case it sounds like it will be 3/4".

Old 01-05-12, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
3/4 is a kinda odd thickness as I remember. The cheaper ones were 5/8 and the better lines were 7/8 of the brands I sold.

Personally I'd pull it apart and temporarily use a piece of plywood or similar til the new IGU arrives.

Old 01-05-12, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
IGU's come in all sorts of thicknesses, and I wouldn't read anything into the numbers you read on the label. You need to get it to the closest 1/16th of an inch. Most vinyl windows are either 3/4 or 7/8 but I have seen a few that were 13/16. They do make glass calipers that go around both sides of the glass, but it would probably be easier for you to remove the glass and actually measure it. Most glass companies use a laser to measure the thickness. If you can remove the old one without breaking it, you can just pop it back in again and put the glazing strips back in temporarily.

If you're the original owner and you're calling the manufacturer directly, I would think they would know what size glass they put in their own windows. Most companies can just look back at your original order and even look up the original glass size.