Placement of Door Jams?

Old 01-16-12, 12:59 PM
Placement of Door Jams?

I am in the process of installing an Exterior Door in a new addition wall. Can someone tell me if the door jams should be flush with the finish on the inside , which will be 1/2 inch sheetrock or should it be flush on the Exterior side. The door framing I purchased is 4 5/8 inch thick. My studs are 3 1/2 inch of course. That makes the door door jams stick outside of the 2 x 4s about 5/8 of an inch.
Any help on this subject will be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-12, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
The face of the door jambs should be flush with the drywall once it's hung. You can usually just slap it up against the sheathing tight, and it will be just about right.

Old 01-16-12, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Funny - reminds me of the front door on a duplex I lived in a long time ago, as the jamb had never been nailed in place prior to me living there and would slowly move toward the outside every time it was slammed shut. Needless to say, I fixed that.

In your case, I'd put it flush on the inside so the trim fits nicely.

Old 01-16-12, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Typical wall is 1/2" sheetrock, 2x4 framing, 1/2" sheathing....so your frame is correct if those apply.

Set the interior of the frame 1/2" proud of the interior framing if you are using 1/2" 'rock. If you will be skimcoating or texturing the interior..then go 5/8.

Old 01-16-12, 01:47 PM
Thanks for that quick response. I placed it 1/2 inch to the inside to be flush with my rock which will be painted. On the exterior, I put 1/2" sheathing, then felt paper, and was using 4 x 8 Hardyboard sheets on top of that. I guess on the outside, I should use something like brickmold to trim around the door so it will stick out past the Hardyboard. Is that correct?
thanks again

Old 01-16-12, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, your plan sounds good to me.

Old 01-16-12, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, if your jamb isn't past the Hardy now, adding BM won't help. You'd have to build out the jamb then add BM.

Seems to me (No Pro carpenter) that you kinda did things out of order. Doors and window go on as soon as the sheathing is up and wrapped, then siding and sheetrock can be done at the same time (for a bigger crew). If just you, should have been sheathing, doors and windows then siding.

That way you do all your flashing, flashing tape and such, install the doors and windows, butt the sheathing to the trim of the windows and doors, caulk and done.