Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

I just got my home inspection done for a house I'm buying...

Old 01-18-12, 06:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

And apparently 11 windows in the place have broken hermetic seals according to the inspector, possibly more. I'm not sure what to do at this point, as the house is pretty ideal for us, but I don't want to have a 20k problem to have to pay for.

Any suggestions on how to proceed, and how to negotiate this? I'm not sure if they are repairable, and obviously the seller won't want to spend ANY money, so that's why I'd figure I'd ask here

Thanks!

Old 01-18-12, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On paper ask the seller to fix them. Then go from there.

Old 01-18-12, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,190 Upvotes on 1,147 Posts
We replace glass all the time where the seals have failed - get hooked up with a glass company who will cut you a good price and install them yourself and you can do this for surprisingly little money - maybe even a lot less than you can get the current homeowner to credit you for this.

Old 01-18-12, 11:10 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The cost of repairing the windows should be part of the negotiations with the realtor/homeowner. Have you made an offer or signed a contract? In the current market I would push the realtor very hard to convince the seller to pay for the repairs.

FWIW I replaced a couple of sashes on double hung Anderson windows for under $300. You might want to get a firm idea on repair costs and decide from there.

Old 01-18-12, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Often windows have a lifetime warranty on the seal if the original owner.

If you or the current homeowner cant get repaired under warranty then more often then not the glass is about $100 bucks to replace. With labor.

At least thats the quote I got on my 1995 windows to replace the glass.

Mike NJ

Old 01-31-12, 08:05 AM
D
So they came back and offered us a $500 credit for 11 windows. What do you think, any ideas on how I should respond thru my attorney?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-12, 11:50 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How bad do you want the house? The bad seals reduce the insulating powers but the windows do not leak water and are not a safety problem.

The inspector just went through my son in law's 10 year old home and did some heavy nit picking.

My SIL got the builder (lives's in the area) to fix some of the complaints but on some - like cracked concrete pool apron - told the buyer that it was visable when they looked at the house and made the offer - you want new concrete, DIY.

This buyer wants the house and was willing to back off of the silly demands.

Old 01-31-12, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
$500 go for it. Every little bit helps.

Usually when you find other stuff you just lump it all togther in one price. Helps get a little more out of it.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: