Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall preparation for door frame installation

Non-US

01-19-12, 02:44 AM   #1  
Wall preparation for door frame installation

Dear All,

I had double glazed alouminium doors and windows in my house.
The house was recently robbed, and they took off even the doors and the windows.
It is impossible for me to replace them as they were..plus i run the danger of the house being 'victimised' in the same way again.

So i decided to replace the doors/windows with wooden frames/doors.

Now, the reason i am writting this thread ...is to know how to fix this from the begining.

What i mean....
obviously when the robbers took away the doors and frames...they did it rather violently..
now...the house is build with cement and bricks....
so...

do i just put cement around the door opening in order to install the frame/door?
do i need to put some other material for example?

I would much appreciate all info/advice with this

Sincerely
George

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-19-12, 06:35 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums George!

Generally there is PT wood fastened to the block and then the window/door is secured to the wood.

A pic or two might help us to assist you better - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Non-US

01-24-12, 02:13 AM   #3  
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Bt Block..u mean...the concrete(side of the door opening)?
what i am a bit worried..is about having gaps of air in the wall/brick?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-24-12, 04:41 AM   #4  
The PT wood is attached to the block on return edge, not the outside or inside. You'd secure the 2x flat to the return, then the window is mounted to the 2x. The exterior side would either be trimmed and caulked or stucco'd to seal the gap between the block and the window. The interior side would be insulated and then trimmed out to match the interior woodwork...... or it can be drywalled with the bottomed trimmed in wood or tile.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread