Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

replace operable casement window with broken seal

Old 01-26-12, 08:02 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

One of the casement windows that is operable (opens and closes with a handle) has a broken seal and condensation is between the glass panes. I want to replace the window but I have never done this before. Is it just a matter of using a screwdriver to unscrew the window from the window hardware that opens and closes the window?

Old 01-26-12, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
It depends what type of window it is. If you want to take the sash in to a glass house so that you can leave it there for a week while they make and replace the insulating glass unit, then the answer is probably "yes". Some sashes (like old andersen's) have hinges that just screw to the wood sash. On others, you do not have to remove ANY screws, instead they have a connecting arm on the top and bottom hinges that will pop off once you pull back a little metal snap-sleeve that keeps them secured. The crank arm also has a spot where it pops downward off the bottom of the sash. Once the connecting arms and crank arm are disconnected, the entire sash (which is now being held only by the plastic pivot guides at the top and bottom corners of the sash) can be slid to the center of the window where the pivot guides will come out of their metal tracks.

It's rarely necessary to remove a casement window sash from the window just to replace the glass. If you know the glass size, glazing stops (either on the inside or out, depending on the window) are removed, the old fogged IGU (insulating glass unit) is removed, and the new one is glazed in, and the glazing stops are reinstalled or replaced. Whether you do this from the inside or the outside depends on the window... but if you want to remove the sash so that it can be done horizontally on a workbench instead of vertically (in the window) that's up to you.

A few window sashes actually have to be dismantled (they have screws at each of the 4 corners) in order to remove and replace the IGU. These are usually identified by the 4 screws at the corners and there is usually a marine glazing boot (like a gasket) that is visible around the perimeter of the glass.

The glass size is critical to the sash... it has to be EXACTLY the right width, height and thickness as the original in order to work properly. Generally it also has to be shimmed in place (with rubber setting blocks) at each corner, because usually the glass is the only thing that keeps a casement sash square. If you do not install setting blocks around the perimeter of the glass, the sash can get out of square which means it might not operate correctly. It can also shorten the life of the IGU.

Depending on their age, some IGU's may be under warranty so if you know the mfg you can check into that.

Old 01-26-12, 11:25 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply xsleeper.

So if I wanted to do the work myself, I am looking at measuring the glass and ordering a new one, then would you say that this video is accurate on how to go about doing the work?

Replacing Thermal Glass - YouTube

Old 01-26-12, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
It's accurate for that type of window, which is a vinyl replacement window. Not knowing whether your window is wood, aluminum or vinyl, and having no pictures of it, I really can't say if it's accurate for your particular window.

I would not usually reglaze an IGU with "caulking" (silicone), unless it was originally glazed that way. (called wet glazing) I always use two-faced tape that is equal in thickness to the original.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: