Water Leaking at 11pm... Please help!

Old 01-29-12, 10:59 PM
Water Leaking at 11pm... Please help!

So I suddenly heard water dripping in the great room of my house during a rain storm. I found the water is leaking between the top of a window and the wood casing. I cut a bunch of holes inside the house above the leak and removed the insulation. I see no evidence of moisture, and the wood above the window is dry to the touch. I have not cut enough holes to access everywhere above the window (it is pretty wide) but I can access at least 50% of the area above the window (see the following pictures).

This is a photo of the window

This is a closeup of the leak (it is about 3 inches to the right of the metal bracket

Three questions:

If the water was coming from above and down the inside of the wall wouldn't it spread enough that I would see some evidence from the holes I cut or do I really need to cut over the entire window?

Assuming it is not leaking from above, is there any way water would be able to get into the house if the wrap was done properly (ie can I assume I have a wrap or flashing issue)?

What is the next step? Remove siding? Remove the interior casing? Sell my house and live in a tent?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-12, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have wrap and that helps, but if the window was not flashed properly, there's your problem. If you have vinyl siding with j channel over the window, look to see if there is a metal flashing over the window protruding past the brick mold. If not, you have found the problem.