removing unusual door handle

Old 01-30-12, 10:12 PM
removing unusual door handle

One of our privacy door handles unfortunately does not unlock when the indoor handle is turned(or very difficult anyway).

Anyway I'm trying to remove it i have removed the handles and latch plate successfully but the spindle will not budge. Every article or video says it should be simple removed or to push the latch in and remove it. Neither of these worked.

This is driving me nuts. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-12, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Any way you can post a pix or two (not closeups) of the door knob assembly? That way we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-31-12, 03:35 PM
Yes, a pic would help us. Assuming it is an old lockset??? Parts are binding or broken, so if you are going to be replacing the lockset, don't be afraid to force things. Just protect the door from prying tools.

Old 01-31-12, 08:16 PM
They are new from a couple of years ago(I did not install them).

The photos i'm showing are from a different door in the house that is a privacy lock and works normally. The square spindle can also not be removed. So it seems it is meant to not move unless something is done.

There is not much to see in the photos. It is a close up but there is really nothing else do see.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Edit:
Also i am hoping to not replace door handle. I'm hoping there is a way to make it unlock with a smaller turn of the handle.

Last edited by greeniekin; 01-31-12 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 02-01-12, 04:11 PM
Sorry, no help here. I have never seen that in 27 years.