Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing Pre-Hung French Double Doors - Jamb Wider than Door

Old 02-07-12, 04:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So, I will preface this by saying that I have never hung a door in my life. That being said, I certainly am not afraid to try.

Anyway, we are in the process of closing off the library so my wife can use it as a home office. There was an existing open doorway between this room and our morning room that I have closed. Now I need to worry about the other end of the room...

There is another open doorway between a hallway and the library in which we would like to install double French doors. The following dimensions are with the ½” drywall still intact so I would gain +1” on the width and +.5” on the height : H = 95”, W = 59.25”, 8.25” D.

Adjusted dimensions: H = 95.5", W = 60.25", D = 8.25"

Question 1: When looking at doors at Lowes or HD, are the measurements for the entire framing of the door. In other words, if a door is listed as 60” x 80” does that mean that it will be exactly 60” across from edge to edge? As you can see, I don’t have much room for error since the opening will be ~60.25” wide once I strip the drywall. If the actual size of the pre-hung door is a little larger than 60” (or 60.25” just won’t cut it), I will more than likely move down to a 56” door and just pack it out.

Question 2: What do I do about that is 8.25” jamb since the door jamb will most likely be ~4.5”? Do I install it on the edge of the jamb closest to the library since the door will open into it? If so, how much of an issue will I run into trying to trim out the remaining jamb? Is this even the proper method?

After all of that, am I getting in over my head? Should I just pay a professional to do it? If so, what kind of expense can I expect for the labor?

TIA!!!

John

Last edited by johnodon; 02-07-12 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 05:52 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
French Door

You say the present opening width is 50.25 in. If you remove the drywall, the adjusted width would be 51.25 in. What am I missing here?

Old 02-07-12, 05:56 AM
J
Crud...meant to say 59.25" so that would put the adjusted width at 60.25". I'll update the original post.

John

Old 02-07-12, 06:04 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Door Width

The sizes listed usually refer to the door sizes. In the case of French doors, the combined width of both doors. The package should give the required framed opening dimensions. The other option is to go to the store, slide one of the units out into the aisle and measure it. I think you will have to come down to the next size below 60 in.

Old 02-07-12, 06:08 AM
J
Thanks WP.

HD has a 56" Jeld-Wen that I would need to order online but at least it is an option.

Any comment about the extra-wide jamb?

Thx,

John

Old 02-07-12, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Another thing to consider...you'd probably need to special order anything other than a 5' or 4' door. I doubt anyone carries anything else in stock. Add about $150-200 to the stock price for a S/O. Might get lucky with an order that was wrong and is now in the mark-down bay.

EDIT: If you have to order, you might be better off seeing if they can do a jamb the thickness you need.

Old 02-07-12, 06:15 AM
J
I don't know if this is even a posibility...but could I replace the jamp on teh door myself with 8.25" stock? I never have seen one up close so I don't know how it is attached.

John

Old 02-07-12, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No, I wouldn't try to replace it. You can just build it out. Prob is, IIRC, interior door frames like that are about 5/8" frames. So 3/4" stock won't match exactly. You'd want to step it back from the frame slightly just like you would with casing on a regular door. You can do that by adjusting the rough opening width and height, shimming the door as needed, then attaching the extension stock directly to the studs or by shimming them out less than you did for the door.

Old 02-07-12, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Like Vic said, if you are going to have to order the door anyway because it's special order, ask for the prehung door to come with an 8 1/4" jamb.

If they can't do it and you have to add a little trim to make it exactly 8 1/4", that can be done too, but why go to all that work when you can order it the way you want it???

Old 02-07-12, 08:27 AM
J
All great advice guys...I appreciate it. I think I have a clear path going forward.

Anyway, there is a carpenter right around the corner from us that others have used in our development and he comes highly recommended. I am going to have him come out to chat things over. Maybe I can get enough out of him to try it myself, or, maybe I just hire him (depending on price).

I'll check back in later and provide an update.

Thanks again!

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: