Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tight Windows

FL

02-17-12, 08:26 AM   #1  
Tight Windows

I have single hung alum windows that are difficult to slide open and closed. It seems that the frames are just a touch too tight. Is there an easy fix to alleviate this binding? Maybe to spread the frame open a little. Help, Frustrated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-17-12, 10:23 AM   #2  
I can't imagine the type of window you have, so I can't make much of a suggestion on adjustment. One thing you can do is measure across the frame to figure out if the frame is pinched or not. The measurement across the middle should be the same as the measurement across the bottom and top of the frame.

Aluminum windows often need cleaning and lubrication in order to work properly. If you have spiral balances, they could also be dirty or might be completely shot. If the front window sash tips in to clean, the first thing you might try is to take a rag and spray some silicone lubricant all over the side tracks that the sash rides in, and soak up the excess with the rag. And I mean spray it!!! The spray and maybe a light scrubbing will wash out all the junk that could be causing friction in the frame. Also make sure any weatherstripping (on both the frame and the sash) is clean and not clogged with dirt.

If, after you get it cleaned, it still doesn't operate smoothly, I'd suspect the spiral balances (if so equipped).

FL

02-17-12, 10:48 AM   #3  
The windows are 2002 Better-Bilt Series 740B. Hope this helps.

Group Moderator

NE

02-17-12, 10:57 AM   #4  
Those do have spiral balances, according to the info on their web site. If you need instructions on how to replace spiral balances, just type those words into the "search" and I'm sure you will find a lot of info here.

Search this Thread