(pics) entry door pediment troubles

Old 02-26-12, 09:10 AM
Question (pics) entry door pediment troubles

Hi!

I'm soliciting some options for a small project. I have a round fiberglass (it seems) pediment over my entry door. There is gap that developed around the bottom part of the pediment, the door trim and the siding. It seems that there was some water seeping thru the gap resulting in the painting chipping and some minor damage to the wooden top door trim:

I would like to clean it up and fix it, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it. I could simple silicone the gap and paint it over, but I think I need to fix the source of the problem and I think it's the fact the top of the pediment is not flush with the siding and it lets the water it:

I tried to look up how this thing is supposed to be installed and if it's supposed to be sealed from the top or not, but didn't find much info online. I assume it's possible to seal it from the top but stuffing some backing rod first and then going over with the silicone. But something tells me it's the wrong way to do it. Was there supposed to be a channel to divert the water from behind the pediment to the sides? Should I pull the whole thing off and reinstalled it? Any other ideas?

On other hand neither me nor my wife like the pediment, so I'm somewhat inclined to pull it off completely and install a simple crosshead, something like this and silicone around it:

The problem that I see with this approach is that the siding will most likely be discolored behind the pediment and I would need to paint it and there is a chance the spot would stand out.

Anyway, any help on this subject is appreciate it, please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-12, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Many pediments like that are just for looks, and should not be sealed up at all. In fact, they often stand away from the house slightly so that water can freely drain behind them. (as shutters often do. You wouldn't caulk the edges of your shutters, would you?) Silicone is also not the best choice for exterior siding caulk since 100% silicone is not readily paintable without special prep unless you are using Silcone II.

I can't say that was the "wrong way" to install it, since many pediments are for decorative purposes only, are installed on TOP of the siding, and it's only when someone caulks the bottom edge and dams up the water that it creates a problem. But it's likely that was the best the installers could do when they replaced the door. I notice there is no j-channel down the SIDES of the door trim either, which isn't real good.

The problem with steel siding like that is that you can't just unzip it above the door like you could vinyl siding, without bending it up. So I can understand why there isn't any j-channel around that stuff.

The siding looks like it may have already been painted once, and if the same paint is around you could always touch up any discolored area left by the removal of the existing pediment. The holes is might leave behind are another matter.

Old 02-26-12, 12:16 PM
I would opt for the replacement like you want to do. Then you can easily flash the top. I'm not sure how to deal with the discoloration. Perhaps bring a sample to the paint store of the faded version and match it. Though over time, it will probably mismatch itself as it fades.

This siding appears to be wood to me. Perhaps it could be a fibercement product, but certainly not vinyl or steel. J-channel is not used for those products.

Old 02-26-12, 12:20 PM
guys, thanks for the replies. the siding is some kind of a wood panel, not vinyl/steel.

i think the replacement is the cleanest solution in this case...

Old 02-26-12, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Siding looks to be Hardie, or at worst, Masonite.

Old 02-26-12, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
that explains the lack of j-channels! LOL I can see that now that I look closer. The piece under the right crown moulding return is starting to split.