Door security question

Old 02-28-12, 01:16 PM
Door security question

(apologies if double post - it appeares to have eaten my first one so writing it again...)

After a spate of break ins in our area, I'm looking to reinforce our doors/jambs etc. Few questions:

Our side entry garage door appears to be a wooden frame with flat metal skin both in side and outside. I'm guessing from the weight that it is hollow.

From a kick-in perspective, should I replace this with a solid wood or fibreglass door? Or is it ok?

Expensive systems like ez armor look great, but...

Is it really neccessary to reinforce the hinges beyond 3in screws?
Is it really neccessary to have the 4+ foot jamb reinforcement, vs the ~1foot / 6 screw security strike plates available?

Locks - having problems finding the Schlage 660 or 760 - anywhere online to buy them, or best going to a local locksmith?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-12, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
I have had some attempted break-ins to the back door of my office building. Luckily I reinforced 4 feet of the jamb with steel. In every attempt they try to kick or pound in on the door knob side. So far nobody has attempted to attack the hinge side. The door to my warehouse opens out so the door is fully supported by the jamb and kicking attempts on it don't seem to have done anything other than scuff the paint.

Do you need a 4 ft. jamb reinforcement??? That's up to you. How resistant do you want the door to be? The more you upgrade & reinforce the door & lock set the less likely it is that someone will be able to break in but it costs you money. It's wasted money if nobody breaks in. If you do a half way job of reinforcing and it stops a mild attack then it's money well spent, but if they power through your minor reinforcements it was money wasted.

Keep in mind that thieves want an easy entrance. If you heavily reinforce the door they may go somewhere else to gain entrance like a window or simply go through the wall, so don't put all your defense budget in one spot.

Old 02-28-12, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
flat metal skin both in side and outside. I'm guessing from the weight that it is hollow.

More than likely the core of the door is styrofoam, that helps to insulate it. I agree with PD that the jamb is the first thing to reinforce.

Old 02-28-12, 03:45 PM
Kind of what he said..........depends on how much you want to pay for.

Replaced all the inside(closest to center of the door) hinge screws with 2 1/2-3" screws. DO install full throw deadbolts. Install long screws on the latch plates(deadbolt and door knob) on both the door and frame side. Screws should get into the house framing. These changes may get the guy to look down the street. But there are windows........not much you can do there. Glass breaks. Consider a NOISEY alarm system.

Old 02-28-12, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the responses.

It's not a particularly bad area, mostly just unskilled petty criminals hitting what they probably see as a soft target area.

Also getting us some warning (if we're inside) and time to react before they are inside as well, when the alarm doesn't really help...

I already have a GE/ITI alarm system with external siren.

I'm really looking to prevent really easy entrance, which from researching it seems is my current situation with "builder standard" doors/locks. I'd no idea it was so easy...! Why on earth do they only fit deadbolts on the front entrance, and not the more out of the way side entrance?!

I will be installing deadbolts on side/garage interior, security strike plates, door reinforcement around hte lock area, and longer hinge screws.

So about the wood frame/steel door - is it "ok" or significantly weaker than solid wood/fibreglass doors?

Old 02-28-12, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With enough effort most any door can be busted down. Personally I'd be more concerned with the jamb than the door. A metal door will bend/dent long before it will be distorted enough to allow unauthorized entrance.

Old 02-28-12, 06:25 PM
if you have an attached garage. put a switch on the garage door opener. and turn it off at night.