Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Seal Failure on Patio Doors

IN

03-04-12, 05:50 PM   #1  
Seal Failure on Patio Doors

I am shopping for a new patio door. Does anyone know if the "between the glass blinds" (that my wife wants) increase the likelyhood of seal failure? Most all of my existing windows have had this problem and it is a pain to replace them.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-04-12, 06:39 PM   #2  
Pella's blinds are not sealed between the panes. Most other brands I have seen work with a magnetic slide, and no, they would not affect the seal.

The bigger problem is the sliding mechanism wearing out, since you can't really repair the blinds if there is ever a problem with it. The more you use them the more likely they are to wear out.

DE

03-05-12, 03:35 PM   #3  
There are SO MANY window treatments available, why consider something between the glass???? IT CAN'T BE SERVICED!!!!!!!!!!!

MN

03-05-12, 06:43 PM   #4  
I agree with Bill.

I just put in a good sliding door and chose to order some custom split 1" mini-blinds (8 gauge) that were 82" wide on a single ceiling mount rail, so I can change the appearance whenever I want with great controls. The door will last longer than my decorating preferences, since the blinds are closed every night in the winter to reduce radiant heat loss without changing the room decor. All the fancy glass in the world does little to cut radiant heat LOSS.

Dick

IN

03-07-12, 01:53 PM   #5  
Thank you for all your help! I have seen the Pella doors with the triple pane that allows access to the blinds. My next question is what is a good quality sliding door. My past experience with sliders is they stick after some time.

Group Moderator

NE

03-07-12, 02:18 PM   #6  
I think the Pella door w/triple glass is one of the best out there. I've put in hundreds of them, and like the storm w/blinds that you can access. (architectural / designer series) Kind of a pain in the butt to clean, but you don't open the storm but maybe once a year.

Others have had bad luck with Pella from years ago and will never go back... I've never had a problem w/them. Maybe the factories out here in the midwest put out a better quality product, I don't know.

You can't go wrong with an Andersen door either if you don't want blinds in the glass.

Group Moderator

WI

03-07-12, 02:23 PM   #7  
Sliders will stick if you allow dirt and other junk to accumulate in the track.

MN

03-07-12, 02:47 PM   #8  
If it binds when the track is clean, it was not installed properly or it was not adjusted later to account for conditions/climate. When I had my Renewal by Andersen installed, the installer (Certified by AAM) spent about 10 minutes explaining possible future adjustments and maintenance and made me do it to make sure I understood the workings.

Dick

Search this Thread