Repair antique yale door closer


Old 03-07-12, 11:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair antique yale door closer


I have an antique (don't know exact age) Yale/Eaton 149A door closer.
It still functions, however it is leaking oil from the end-cap (not the end with the adjusting screw).
I would like to take this off and seal the threads but not sure about how much and how to replace the oil.

Also, what is the function of the castle-type nut on the top of the closer?

If I remove it totally from the door I might as well seal both threads.
Is there anything else I need to know to refurbish this closer?

I will try to attach a couple pictures...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by EABIS; 03-07-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-07-12, 04:59 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,214
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Careful what you are calling antique, I have seen many of those. Try local sources first, then search the web. You are bound to find something. It may be something as simple as an o-ring seal.
Old 03-24-12, 05:55 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 103
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Post this can be fixed


nice closer, this one appears to be from the 60's-70's era

i want to first say that door closer repair can be risky thing to do as you can get hurt from trying to wrench a part off (end cap)

it is best to send this Yale to a door closer rebuild facility, a good known one is New England door Closer, located in West Springfield, Mass.

i would strongly suggest this as not many people have o-rings that will properly work in a closer. if you decide to call NEDC you will get either Ron or Neil, tell them Jess the door closer doctor suggested you.

now if you have a workbench with a vise and know what your doing, place closer on it's side in the vise and the end cap can be taken off and oil filled and o-ring replaced.

most of the time when i direct people in a closer oil filling i have them do it thru the valve, but since this one's valve is not the problem, it can be just poured in the end (until level with end of closer so you don't trap any air inside) and put end cap back on

even though oils have changed over the years (different types of oil used in closers) a good replacement of oil is hydraulic jack fluid/ power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid. most car parts stores or walmart may carry all 3 of the fluids.

as for that castle nut thing, that is called the "ratchet" it's purpose is to adjust the spring strength and also connecting the arm of the closer to the spring (notice that catch thing under the arm in the notch in the "nut") adjustment of the spring is done with a hook spanner wrench.

hope all goes well with this and please PM me or respond back to this thread about the progress on the closer,

-Jess the door closer doctor
Old 04-11-12, 05:00 PM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but I just had to say, that's an awesome closer!! Is this in a house, business?

DoorDoctor, should Eabis do any kind of flushing out of the old oil before putting new oil in? Cleaning in a parts washer, or anything like that?

I restore old electric desk fans, and after 30, 80, or 100 years, grease and oil solidifies and clogs up the works.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: