Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Double-hung window sash glass replacement

RI

03-09-12, 02:25 PM   #1  
Double-hung window sash glass replacement

The house is in Rhode Island, east coast of the US and the window in question was put in around 1980s.

Last night was a really windy night. My bedroom (on the 2nd floor) has a double double-hung window and one of the sash's glass got blown away, fell, and broken. I saved the trim pieces and surprisingly noticed that there was no staples or glazing compound on the sash frame to prevent the glass from flying outwards. The only thing that was supposed to hold the glass in place are four pieces of vinyl/plastic trims that was jammed into place.

The cheapest solution seems to be sash glass replacement at the moment. The measurement of the glass is 20.5in (width) x 28.5in (height) x 0.484in (thickness) and it's a double-pane glass with metal spacers in between which has a stamped label "multipane--- 692" on it.

The problem is the sash removal, the window balancing mechanism doesn't seem like anything I've been watch on the videos online. Instead of using pulley-cord counter weight, each sash has two springs hidden (but still visible in the photos) in the track cavities on each side. There is no cord or clips that helps me to dismount the sash without breaking the trim/stop board.

If it's possible to put the replacement glass onto the sash without removing the sash first I'd go for it but being on the 2nd floor I really think it's better to remove the sash first.

All the photos for reference are here:
window pictures by lancey2010 - Photobucket

recap:
1. where can I find this multipane 692 glass?
2. how to remove the sash with spring balance?

Photos:
1. The glass of the upper (outer) sash is missing:

2. There are no visible cords/pulley for weight balance for the sash because it uses spring on each side and the spring is located in the groove next to the track

3. This is the close-up photo of the spring. There are no tabs or stop piece on the sash or the spring track so I can't figure how to remove the sash without take the whole thing apart (which I really don't want to do - but sash removal seems essential to put the replacement glass in).
More photos in window pictures by lancey2010 - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-09-12, 03:08 PM   #2  
Those are called tilt packs. If you raise the front (bottom) sash slightly, you should be able to push on the left side of the jamb right above the sash (with your right hand, if right handed), it will "give" just enough that you can pull the top left corner of the front sash out of its groove slightly. Then do the same thing on the opposite side... push on the right side of the jamb right above the sash (with your right hand) and pull the top right corner of the front sash out of its groove. Once both sides have been popped out of their grooves, you should be able to tip that sash down until its perpendicular, then you should be able to lift the entire sash out of the frame, being careful to ensure that the pivot bars (which is what the window sash hinges on) are able to come freely out of their pivot shoes.

If that works, just repeat this process for the top sash by lowering it all the way down to the bottom of the opening, and then you can take it out as well.

A glass shop will be able to make you a new insulating glass unit (IGU) if you provide them with the dimensions. It's likely that your vinyl glazing strips are broken... windows don't just fly out for no reason. If you take the broken pieces with you to the glass shop they should be able to order you some new ones. The glazing strips are supposed to be shaped like an L, where the tip of the L has a sharp protrusion on it (like an arrow cut in half down the middle). That sharp protrusion fits into a kerf in the window and LOCKS into place. It's quite likely that part of your glazing strip might still be caught in this kerf. A thin putty knife inserted into the inner perimeter of that kerf will help you free any broken pieces.

If I was coming to your house to replace the glass I would probably do it off a ladder instead of taking the sash out, if that matters any.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

RI

03-09-12, 07:43 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I finally did it and remove the sash! I wasn't sure if I was going to break it but obviously it required some muscle.

I will take the sash and all the pieces of the glazing stripe and the double-pane metal spacer to home depot and see if they can find something that will fit. I guess a low-E insulated glass will do as long as it doesn't fly off the window!

Group Moderator

NE

03-09-12, 08:39 PM   #4  
Home depot does not have what you need. As I mentioned you will need to go to a "glass shop" (look in the yellow pages under glass). It is the only place you will be able to get a replacement IGU. Glass shops are not just places that cut and sell glass (like Home Depot... or a hardware store) but they are in the business of making IGU's and replacing IGU's in houses and they should be able to look in their catalogs and order you the exact parts you need to replace your vinyl glazing strips with new ones.

If you want, you can take your sash to a glass house, but don't expect them to fix it while you wait. It usually takes at least a week to get the IGU made, and then they need to actually install it in the sash before you can get it back. So have some plywood handy to cover your window in the meantime.

If you are sure of the size of the glass, write the measurements down and throw your broken IGU away. They don't need it. All they need are the measurements. (20 1/2 x 28 1/2 x 1/2") But take your vinyl glazing strips.

Search this Thread