Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Quad hung windows

TX

03-10-12, 04:46 PM   #1  
Quad hung windows

My parents are renovating a river house, and they're trying to find windows like the ones in their other house. We've been calling them quad-hung windows, but maybe there's another name for them. They're basically double hung windows with double the sashes. So there's two sashes on top, two on bottom, and all of the sashes are removable (except for maybe the upper exterior sash). Does anyone know where we can find something like this? They want the thermal insulation that two panes of glass provide, but want to avoid the condensation problems that insulated glass windows have when the hermetic seals break (they had lots of problems with fogging on one of their previous houses).

Sponsored Links

NY

03-11-12, 04:58 AM   #2  
What is the purpose for this type window? If the windows are very tall, a double hung with a fixed transom on top will work. If you wanted them all to open the a double hung with another double hung mulled together on top would be another way. Insulated glass is made far better now than what they may have had. Buy from a reliable manufacturer with a good warranty.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-11-12, 04:59 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums! Although I have never seen windows like that, except for screened in porch rain shields, it may be possible to find them if you knew the manufacturer of the original windows. Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the windows, inside and out and post them so we can see what you are seeing? Breaking hermetic seals indicates either a poor installation(too tight) or an inferior manufacturing process. We'll look at the pix and see what we can come up with. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Super Moderator

AZ

03-11-12, 06:35 AM   #4  
If they are truly quad-hung windows......they actually have 4 sashes (2 top 2 bottom) one in front of the other in both locations.

Normally used for sound reduction and extra insulation value.

The only brand I know of is Silverline in vinyl. If they are made by any of the major players like Andersen, Marvin, Pella etc.....you'll have to check with one of their factory stores.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NE

03-11-12, 06:39 AM   #5  
I have heard of triple hung windows, but I haven't seen any quad hungs. Not to say they don't exist, but I don't know any suppliers, sorry.

TX

03-12-12, 09:57 AM   #6  
Thank you for all your feedback. I think the main reasons they like the quad (or triple) hung windows are:
  • Good insulation
  • No hermetic seal to break
  • Easy to clean

@johnam - They're normal size windows (not tall). They were considering IG windows, but I think they had a hard time finding ones they liked with a warranty longer than 5 years.

@chandler - I asked them to take some pics and get the original manufacturer when they get home. Is vinyl bad? It seems like aluminum would be better. I'll let you know when the pics are up.

@Gunguy45 - Thanks, I tried looking at Silverline's "quad hung windows", but all of the links on various construction sites went to a page that doesn't exist on Silverline's website. I'll have my parents call Silverline and see what's up. Maybe we should be looking for sound-insulating windows?

@XSleeper - My dad and I seem to remember the upper outer sash NOT being removable, but my mom thinks otherwise. They'll check them out when they get home and let us know. I'll try looking for triple-hung windows.

TX

03-12-12, 10:05 AM   #7  
After looking up triple-hung windows, I think I need to clarify what I mean by quad hung.

Imagine a double hung window with another double hung window behind it. So two panes of glass on the top, and two panes on bottom, NOT a single layer of 4 panes stacked vertically. (pics coming soon)

Super Moderator

AZ

03-12-12, 10:32 AM   #8  
Thats what I described in my earlier post.

If this is an older home (as in 50 yrs or more) they may have been regionally manufactured.

Yeah, sorry...Silverline used to have them on their main site, but I noticed that now everything takes you to retailers telling you to contact them for quotes.

Sound insulating is normally done by triple panes or thicker glass now...not sure if a search will turn up anything like what you now have.

A good source may be any local building supply or full service hardware store that has been in business since the home was built. You know the type.....kinda disorganized looking with a bunch of old guys hanging around?

Theres really no good reason to get the exact same type....modern windows are much better than those of 30 yrs ago.

Vic

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-12-12, 03:07 PM   #9  
Are we talking "storm windows" or did I lose it?

Super Moderator

AZ

03-12-12, 03:33 PM   #10  
You lost it Larry....lol.

Imagine 2 regular double hung windows mounted one in front of the other. Could be single glazed for each one...or double glazed (IGU)....

Not common at all....but I remember learning about them when I was selling windows and doors at HD. They were used in either extremely high noise areas or where the weather was severe as I remember.

Vic

TX

04-09-12, 03:28 PM   #11  
My parents had their house built when I was a teenager. The windows can't be more than 10-15 years old, but I guess nobody makes them anymore. The house is in a quiet, (somewhat) rural area, but they chose these windows for their thermal insulation, ease of cleaning, and lifespan. I think they're just going to go with IG windows, but they're definitely skeptical after their experiences with their first house. It's too bad that so few companies offer a warranty longer than 5 years.

Anyways, here's the pictures:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3428571/look...to%20house.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3428571/looking%20outside.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3428571/The%...le%20panes.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3428571/Two%...de%20panes.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys! We really appreciate the assistance.

Super Moderator

AZ

04-09-12, 03:52 PM   #12  
Actually...5 years on a warranty is really bad. I've been out of the business for almost 6 yrs but even then, most every brand was doing 10 yrs on hardware, 10-20 yrs on glass. Some even gave lifetime for original owner on glass seals.

The problem is when a company goes under, is bought out, or the warranty is from the installer/retailer.

Vic

Search this Thread