Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How can I tell if my window needs replacing?

TX

03-10-12, 10:34 PM   #1  
How can I tell if my window needs replacing?

I have an old casement window. The handle to open the window is a little busted up and the wood around the edges looks a little worn. Given the high cost of windows and installation, I definitely would like to keep the window if possible. How can I tell if my window needs replacing? And if I do keep it, how can I spruce up things a little bit to make it look new?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-11-12, 04:35 AM   #2  
The aesthetics are an easy fix. A little wood filler [if needed] and paint will take care of the looks part and you should be able to buy a new handle. The bigger question is how well does the window seal!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TX

03-11-12, 10:23 PM   #3  
I think the window seals ok, but I am not sure. The window is from a rental unit that I have been renting out to a college student. There appears to be peeling paint on the interior window trim, but it didn't look like there was any wood rot. I could be wrong though. I don't really know if the peeling paint is from a leak or if the renter left the window open too many times while it was raining. College kids are really dumb these days.

How can I be sure that the window is sealing ok? And as far as aesthetics, I just need some wood filler, and paint, correct? Should I buy new trim? I am afraid I am going to screw something up with the handle too.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-12-12, 05:28 AM   #4  
I'm not real familiar with how to seal test a window, I think you can use a candle and see if there is air movement at the flame, I think incense [smoke] can also be used.

If you post a pic or two, we might be better able to advise you as to the best way to dress up the window. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread